Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you fly fisher's out there had a go to pattern for big bluegill. Somethat that seems to attrach big bluegill better than the little guys. A lot of times while fishing for bluegill with small ant patterns I will see a big fish but have 20 little fish on my fly before the big fish even gets a chance to see it. And I know there will probably still be little guys chasing just about fly but I figured I would ask and see.

Also do you guys have an out of the box pattern that you use for tricky fish? I have a little pond near my house with some pretty nice pumpkinseeds, warmouth and bluegill but I have not been able to catch any of them on the fly. They have chased afew and hit afew but the few times they did hit I missed them, they seem to just sit in the sun. However, my friend who fishes with worms catches them left and right. The fish seems to be pretty picky to flies as I have tried just about everything I have from woolly buggers to small ants, dries, nymphs and all that.

Any help is appreciated! Pictures are always good too. :)

Thanks!

Views: 1496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish I knew!

Thanks guys. I am gonna try some minnow patterns and see if that will get them. I will try something with rubber legs to see if that will get their attention and tie up some larger patterns to try and trigger a strike.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

What Mike said, and maybe try a San Juan worm pattern?

Try a grey, tan, pink or orange scud.

I've also caught bluegill on purple colored wet flies (as well as chartreuse, orange, black and some other colors).  A friend swears by his wet fly tied with purple starling hackles.

Finally, I once tried the steelhead pattern called Chicken Little or Chicken Hawk in pink and also chartreuse.  The bluegill went wild for those flies.

Couple of ideas:

Use a bigger hook on your favorite pattern

I like a Muddler minnow pattern on a 3x #8 Mustad. Can fish it dry or wet.

Lastly try some fast retrieves, they can trigger a big gill into striking.

Good luck and have fun!

Nathan, in my thread about the Damselfly Nymph, I have a pic of the bug, as well as the recipe for the fly.  I didn't catch any "big" Bluegills on it, but I did get a couple Hybrid Sunnies, that just inhaled the bug and took off so strongly, I thought I had a LMB.

This sometimes fools the worm-eaters.

http://bigbluegill.com/group/flytyingandspecificinstructionsonly/fo....

I would use as small a bead as possible to make them sink slower

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have not been after these guys for a few weeks now but I am going to try my hand tomorrow hopefully.

go to you tube and look at (

Tying Michael Verduin's Dragonfly Nymph .

this fly can be tied in a #6 but i like it in a #4  i use a TIEMCO :TMC200R NYMPH  HOOK stright eye  3XL standerd wire semi dropped point  hook.

i catch big gills and chinks on this fly as well as bass  i use  olive and black rabbit  strips.

just watch the video,Mike was  true lover of the art of fly fishing.

man you struck a nerve Nathan, the dragon nymph has caught more fish then any fly i use,after over 50 yrs of fly fishing for chinks and gills,it is hands down the most productive fly i tie.

like Mike i love top water,but when it comes to production the dragon beats them all,any time of year and any weather hot or cold. fished weighted or not this fly can be tied in many variations but Michael Verduin"s pattern works so well although i tie several variations of that pattern it is his dragon that i tie and it catches fish.

the dragon nymph is found in most lakes and streams and the life cycle of most dragon fly's  is a year and most of that time is spent as a nymph although 3 to 5 yrs for some types.. they are a high protean source for all fish.

That is a new pattern for me, a little on the complicated side for anyone who hasn't been tying for a while.  Another good pattern that is similar is Carter's Rubber Legged Dragon.  A little easier tye that will catch fish.

Check it out here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xy3E54UTsw

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service