Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just wondering if you guys hit the hard water and if you are doing any good? I have been doing ok when I cab get out, but not many hogs.

Views: 1084

Replies to This Discussion

hey everyone im new to your site and think its the coolist thing ever.i live in bloomington il. its about 1.5 hour drve south of chicago i my self havent had a chance to hit the hard warter but my bubbys keep tlling me they are bringing them home by the bucketful at lake evergreen and dawson lake in 8 to 10 feet of water on small jigs and berkley gulp maggots. if there is anyone out there from my area drop me a line il bite
I fish the central part of Indiana. Haven't had a chance but once and did pretty good. Mostly 7-8" range. A friend of mine has been out 3-4 times and they slayed'em! Around the Hartford City area.(can't give exact location, I might get shot) I have been using the gulp stuff, started using it last fall. I have to say it works pretty well. But I still love my spikes! Add those little babies to a verticle jig(mostly orange and green) and I seem always to go home with a bucket full.
I have caught zip on Berkley Gulp maggots.If I don't tip my jigs with mealworms or waxies I dont catch Blue Gills,fish for that matter.I've gotten 15 this year through the ice on small ,medium to fairly large jigs.Orange ,Orange and black and even took one on a Hildebrandt spoon with a meal worm and a waxworm on it.
went out from2-430pm to a small pond on the edge of bloomington il, ihad only fished this pond twice ever this past summer with moderate success but i got skunked today but all i took with was gulp maggots. iguess i should have known better thats what i get from listening to my drunk fishin buddys.i plan to try again tomorrow with waxies and small minnows try for a good mix bag of crappi and gill ihope some one eles had better luck than me today if so lets hear about it
Hey Tony ...At least you went and thats not time wasted!
Friends and I did well last weekend on spoons in North central Illinois.

Cool hat.
Hey Bill...looks like you and your gang have got it together on the hardwater. Hopin to try a local pond 5 min from the house sometime this week if the ice holds up, did have 5 in before it got warm. I fished there 2 weeks ago and got 4 gills to 9 in and 4 bass of about a pound.
I wish we had the same ice conditions....15+ inches makes for one serious yearning for the turning!
Great photos and great fish! What kinda spoons were you using? Soon I'll be posting some photos of jigs and spoons that have been catching fish for me.
These are my favorite spoons....all have been rigged with a single hook and are regulary presented during open water on braided line with fluorocarbon leaders.

These are all proven big Bluegill lures.....notice the scratches on the 1/4 oz Swedes, all from big Bluegill attacks in deep water.....see rest of story here,

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted photos
2 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Shad Rap collection. My first three Walleyes were caught on the small sized back in the 80's.…"
10 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"More classic end of April Baits .Water temp got to 62-64 and the Stick worm worked a charm on Good…"
10 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

End of April Lures

"Killer color Stick worm for overcast conditions. Black/Gold Fleck 5" "
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"You bet Jeff!"
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Tracy, not sure. This could be a later Perch spawner but not sure if 62–64-degree Water Temp,…"
11 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"healthy looking LMB!!"
13 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"very cool.  are those spawning colors on that fish?  the fewni catch are never that dark."
13 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Thanks Jeff! Good action yesterday."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"For certain, Jeff!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Nice perch….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Nice Predators John and Greg!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"Largemouth party….."
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo