Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Robert Boland just gave me a revelation. Most of y'all don't call bluegills bluegill down south, right? If you're calling them bream, then maybe people in the South U.S. may be searching the internet under "bream" and this site doesn't show up. I think that I'll try to start incorporating the word "bream" into a few more discussions and blogs to try to help this situation. Big bream rock, too! :)

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Easy, now, Bruce. Take a deep breath! :-D
Yea wooooooo ya horse there Bruce!!!

Biggens is good and all But I prefer em in the 6 to 8 range. Its the best size for whole fryin. Weird thing is Most folks from the north aint never hadem whole fried. Where I work Its alot of folks from the northern region and after eatn the whole fries they have shared the technique with friends and now there throwin the biggest ones back! Aint nothin beter than a whole fri bream FINS and all. Em them crispy fins are some good eatin. Like Tater chips!

Im guilty of 5ers. Wow them things is like getn a yerlin deer. TENDER!
Reckon I love tropheys just as much as I love eatin the lil boogers!
I've eaten plenty of bluegill under 6 inches. They're a little more work, but the reward is great.

If the water body can support it, I'll eat 'gills of any size under 9 inches, but then I always get a warm fuzzy feeling from keepin' 7's and tossin' back 9's and up.
After a day of successful fishing, as my partner and I are removing our catch from the live well, he always barks out his signature line...."I want all the small ones!"

Jeremy, your makin' me hungry....just might field dress a few...haven't done that in years.
Which reminds me of why I really love bluegill...

Fun to manage for trophies and catch trophies,

But also a blast to harvest and eat.

How can you go wrong???? :-)
You can't!.....thats why my Bass, Walleye, and Muskie rods have been collecting dust!
Kinda like fried chicken! Its always better with the skin on. HAHA
Hey musky if your gonna field dress them and whole fry em. How bout a video on how to do that. Some people only know how to fillet em and they wont keep smaller fish wich leads to Keeping more trophy fish just so they have something to eat.
Jeremy ,when you get a chance give us Notherner's the uptake on the lowdown of Whole fryin' bluegill...wanna try it!
You have no worries, the rural southern folks that only identify these fish as "bream". Will have no idea what the word "internet" means. Probably think it would be some type of a trap to place in the creek for catching fish. LOL I'm making fun of myself, for I am one of these offroad folks. And more yet with the explosion of northern folks moving to the south in recent years. The migration of Mexicans from below the border our sweet Sunny South as once known no longer is. Here is a thought for all you linguistic minded. What we call in the south "dry-land fish" ya'll call "morels". I was up north a buddy ask me to go shroomin just a few year ago. I honestly did not know until we hunted and then compared to what I already knew. Good Fishin
SHROOMIN!!!!! Better get a good pair of gloves before you ease out there to the cow pasture. No tippin that increases your chances of bein caught!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
13 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
16 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service