Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

This is another good top water Bluegill fly............Don in SC

http://youtu.be/SQVJAhBPw1E

Views: 398

Replies to This Discussion

Don, I want to thank you for this pattern and all of your great videos. I'm new to fly fishing and plan on targeting Gills this summer. I know this video is couple of years old and was wondering if you still liked it as well today. I can't wait to try tying this tomorrow and It looks like a great fly. I'm thinking of a size 10 or 12. 

Thanks again

Yes Bill, it is a good fly that works better as a size 10 than a 12. I will admit that my first choice is still the foam spider and I tie the Sneaky Duck in larger sizes for Bass most of the time.  The Sneaky Duck in a size 10 works best in a pond that has large gills. I fish some ponds that have a bunch of huge CopperNose bream that will "inhale" the size 10 Duck. Other places that have a larger portion of smaller gills the foam spider in a size 12 works best.. The good news is that I have caught almost as many Bass on the size 10 Duck as I have bream. The Bass seem to really like the Duck.( that is why I tie a lot of ducks in a size 6 ) Favorite colors are #1 yellow #2 chartreuse #3 black ............Good luck and let us know how well the Sneaky Duck works for you.

Don, I found your cut foam spider video. What's are the foam body cutters called. Is it an ant body? Thanks
Don, do you have a video on that spider? I'll have to see if I can find your spider. As soon as I can get out and try the "Duck" I'll post a report. Thanks again for the great videos.

Sure, Here is the link to my favorite top-water gill fly. This is my #1 choice unless they will not come up to the top, then I go to the Improved MM Minnow. I will include links to both........good luck and let me know how these work for you.............Don

https://youtu.be/1t0iK7d7kg4

https://youtu.be/sODUm1kWLsQ

Here is one more link to a great gill producer. I like this one when I find myself at a place that has an abundance of smaller gills ( usually when it gets so hot that the bigger fish have stopped feeding ). In sizes 12 and 14 you can catch fish all day long ( especially over rock piles, brush piles or boat docks in the shade )......This is a great fly for beginning tiers because it doesn't get much simpler than this...........I am also adding a link to a tent and or a catawba worm.....this fly is dynamite around willow trees in the spring or whenever these caterpillars are coming out. ....................good luck

https://youtu.be/HqbsA6bLAZ8

https://youtu.be/j9v9sEIxzI8

Don, have you used a 22 caliber shell? I think it has great possibilities. Works great for a little indicator on a floating fly. Also, I'm going to get some cheap wooden cabinet door knobs and glue on top of the cartridge cutters to make them easier to hold onto.  Your media of cutting foam circles is the best. Thanks

I tied these awhile back, after Don gave me one.
They are a neat looking fly, for sure - a foam slider. Rubber legs seems to add that gill killer touch!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"This past Tuesday 2/5oz Eppinger Daredevle Imp Kicker was the only lure that caught a Fish in off…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Drone Shot of One of my Fishing Areas……6/25/2024

"Points and neck down inlet areas maybe ."
yesterday
Thumbnail

Small Seed but Great Colors….6/22/2024

"Beautiful1Love these Guys!"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

spoonjunebww

"Suspended in an outside weed line in a cove. I don't see that color Pattern available for…"
yesterday
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on John Sheehan's photo
yesterday
Thumbnail

"All looks great Jeffrey. I think it would depend on the time of year and of coarse the water depths."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Just curious where other anglers would start fishing for bluegill if they were dropped in this…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

I’ve caught quality and big numbers of Florida strain bluegill on this river system every year…
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

spoonjunebww

"Pretty largemouth…..John…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

449203266_10234620760320270_7533845636020135654_n

"Nice bluegill anywhere……hope you guys get back on them with the heat of the summer…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

2#Bass pickerel cove

"The Classic Eppinger Daredevil 2/5 oz. Imp Klicker Model. Classic Bait got a 2# Bass today.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Trouble for my Eagle Claw/Z Man Plastic…….6/22/2024

"Yes…..especially large bass…I always hope to grab a picture and release but I want to…"
Sunday
Thumbnail

Trouble for my Eagle Claw/Z Man Plastic…….6/22/2024

"I guess you fish 12 # test for Gills because of this possibility!"
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service