Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 9034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170214----~~<")))))><(---*Hard-Water Period*--15" ICE

20170214~Discussing a last minute strategy for an ice fishing outing after bringing many local lake options to the table we decided on a reservoir that we have never ice fished before. Sure we feel comfortable with our hotspots that we have been doing well on… but what about expanding that comfort zone and exploring new areas.

Since 4 year old Connor will be going with us we decide on a popular ice fishing spot with the locals with easy on easy off attributes. We were drilling holes amongst some local fishermen within minutes of parking the vehicle and catching fish.

The middle of the creek channel was in 39-45 FOW thru 15” of solid ice and that’s where everyone was parked with shanties and their buckets… so that’s where we started with intentions of working the investigation shallower.

We were getting bites from 6-8 inchers in the channel. My first B.Gill tag I brought up from the depths it's eyes popped from their sockets so we decided to keep everything we caught at those depths. Working our way shallower on the contour map found very little activity.

We deicided to stick with the action and fish the deep creek channels to fill the limit for the table.

My best bite of the day was on the Tiny.Tungsten/Live/Pink.Maggot combination.

20170214~Found some deep schools of B.Gills in 30-45 FOW

finished cleaning 22 fish in 15 mins fully filleted and skinned... not bad for a rusty catch and releaser

20170216----~~<")))))><(---*Hard-Water Period*--15" ICE

20170216~while doing a little research on Google Earth I discovered an access to get on to the ice at a local lake. What caught my attention is that little walking was required to gain access to what looked like some nice areas that may hold fish. Less time walking = more time on the ice fishing… a element of the numbers game with me. I was out on the ice in 25 mins drilling holes.

Weather was nice low 30’s no wind and some sun. ice was 15” thick.

Dropping the sonar into the holes I discovered a large school of Y.Perch in the small to medium range… keeping about a dozen to add to the freezer. The Tungsten/Live Waxie in the fire tiger pattern was working the magic.

After drilling several holes and tagging only Y.Perch I decided to jump lakes before the next solunar period. A short drive later I was on to one of my favorite all year hot spots and drilling holes on the solunar uptick on a Major Period.

Minutes into the first hole I hooked up with a large N.Pike on the Lil Minnow that I lost bringing onto the ice. By the size of the head it would have stretched to the upper 20s on the scale.

Just minutes later I set my hook into a bruiser of a fish that tested the UL tackle… after several spool burning runs The 3# ice braid held tight and I lipped a large LMB onto the ice. At 18.25” on the scale I quickly released the fish after a couple quick snaps.

At a Solunar rating of only 33% for the day the activity level seemed to be in sync… kind of slow… i decided to fish till about 17:00.

Drilling a new set of holes along a shoreline on the way in I tagged the best fish of the day… an old warrior P.Seed approaching the Master Angler mark of 9.0”. After measuring and taking a couple snaps it was quickly released to fight another day.

20170216~ Lunker LMB tagged on the Lil Minnow

20170216~Lunker P.Seed just missing the Master Angler mark of 9.0”

20170216~Slow day out on the ice…

20170216~ trip shown on the Fishing Points Fish Activity page...

15" of ice!!!  All the ice around here is melting off, fast.

... just got back from the local lake with 13" by the end of the day. lost an inch and a half while i was out there

20170218----~~<")))))><(---*Hard-Water Period*--13" ICE

With 20 to 30 degree above normal temps forecasted for the next 1.5 weeks here in mid-michigan shortly we may not safe ice for the remainder of the season. I need to get that ice time in. usually we have safe ice here till the third week in March.

Loaded up the gear and headed to one of the local easy on easy off public launches. With that easy on-off launch come the local crowds. Parking was near full and many were on the lake fishing… seemed I was late to the party. Or was i?

Loading up my sled I noticed I was missing a sonar leaving it on the kitchen table charging. So fishing blind was the MO for the trip. Without GPS I set up a few holes at the 8-10 ft range in 13” of ice. Testing the hole for depth I was spot on at the 9 ft mark. I continued drilling a few shallower and then deeper extending to the deep basin. I love my Auger!!

A few seconds into the hole with the tungsten/live maggot combo resulted in a quick fish on the ice… I do not tire of tagging the Lepomis.

Listening to the group of fishermen surrounding me I overheard they have been out since mid morning with a couple dozen fish between them.

I was fishing a fish activity level of 12 for the day (low on the scale of 100 being the best) on a down leg of a minor with a major period coming up in a few hours. I was on the lake as not only to satisfy the lure of the tug and hook set but to monitor and explore the solunar tables pertaining to ice-fishing. Lately ive been setting my watch to the solunar charts and tables.

The fish activity quit like a light switch… the adjacent groups of fishermen were also experiencing the same lack of activity. I kept myself busy during the lull by drilling holes and exploring and looking for the best weed growth by testing with a lowered jig. The fish were being tight lipped.

As the major period up tick approached the bite started to progress… amazing!

I continued thru the solunar major period tagging some nice P.Seeds approaching the Master Angler mark of 9.0 inches, some nice B.Gills also approaching the 9.0 inch mark as well as a few preds. The popular bait again proved to be the tiny tungsten jig/ live waxie or maggot combination. A few fish were also tagged on the Lil Minnow rig.

As sunset approached I left the major activity bite well satisfied with the activity for the day.

20170218~ Nice P.Seed... Tungsten Jig/Live Maggot

20170218~ B.Gill... Tungsten Jig/Live Maggot

20170218~ Nice P.Seed... Tungsten Jig/Live Maggot

20170218~ P.Gill... Tungsten Jig/Live Maggot

20170218~ Had a great day setting the hook on the ice…

20170220----~~<")))))><(---*Hard-Water Period*-- 11" ICE

20170220- with the long range warmer temps in the forecast we decided we’d better put some time on the ice before it disappears or becomes unsafe.

Once at the boat launch we noticed a few familiar locals already on the lake with tip-ups fishing for N.Pike.

We made a bee line towards of some of our familiar hot spot way points and started drilling to cover some area.

On sonar, we noticed fish in the water column, particularly in the 8-12’ range. Presenting tiny jigs tipped with live bait or gulp waxies brought some attention to the baits that brought very few tags thru the holes on the ice... neutral day.

“The Fishing Points” app revealed we were on a slow uptick in fish activity extending to a major period peak from 19:08 to 21:38. We would be off the ice since the peak was going to take place in the dark after sunset.

It took a few hours to tag just over a dozen fish. Other fishermen were getting skunked during the same period fishing panfish and N.Pike.

However I did manage to tag a couple quality Lepomis that did manage to bring a smile to my face.

...20170220~ Nice B.Gill tagged on the Lil Minnow

...20170220~ Nice P.Seed tagged on the Lil Minnow

...20170220~ tough bite on the local lake…

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
43 minutes ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
9 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
yesterday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
yesterday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Apr 19
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service