Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Checked the weather forecast before going out and it looked like I had a good 3-4 hr window of kayaking opportunity out on the flats. Before launching I made a few casts from shore and hooked up with a nice 12” class B.Crappie casting parallel to the road rip rap with the “Spring Cricket”. A start to a good trip?

Working the pockets and openings in the shallows I picked up sporadic tags including some decent grappie and 1 decent gill. All on the "Spring Cricket"

Carp were everywhere in the shallows... splashing and spawning tight to the bank.

Then the thunder was detected in the distance. I checked the Minute Cast and locally developing t storms were headed this way and within 54 minutes the rain would begin.

I timed it correctly where I needed 15 mins to head to shore pack up and walk home. I cut my fishing trip short  and made it home just in time before the downpour.

BFOTD!! 12" class B.Crappie

0526161132~BFOTD!! 12" CLASS B.CRAPPIE

Collage of the day... hey i show everything even some dinks once in awhile... lol

20160526 - SHORT KAYAK TRIP INTERRUPED BY T'STORMS

20160527- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

…still torn between the shoreline bite for the carp or taking the yak out gilly-yaking... such a nice day!

Had a great time kayaking and Gillin’. It seems the shallow water pattern with long casts with the tiny jigs has just about come to the end in most waters…. The weed growth has come up and spot fishing with short pitches to openings and edges is proving not as effective as slip/floating. The micro jigs just as in past season will be used in more open water situations. Slip/floating produced the numbers yesterday.

Caught quite a few top tier Michigan fish between the 9 and 10” mark… very husky and thick. Some gills are early on the beds and were easily spotted kayaking the shallows and were not targeted. Saw many chunky  fish cruising the shallow weedy waters and were successfully tagged with the slip/float/Pink waxie combination.

Many small cells of t’storms were in the distance the whole time out there and had to abbreviate my trip on a locally heavy one in line with my location. Minute cast again timed a successful exit and a safe trip home.

nice 9.6" er

IMG_20160527~ BFOTD!!

Preds are welcome... this one hit the little Pink Waxie and slip/float

IMG_20160527_144705-001

Virtual Live Welll... all Cpr'ed

20160527~Yaking and Gillin a great combo!

a future trophy released..

ss_20160527~ MAKING OF A TROPHY~LET THE BIG ONES GO!!

20160528- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

…seeing a gap in th t'storms... might just head out if i can get the legs to move.

I'm in the kayak right now tagging 9 - 10 inch bluegills

Sweeeet

go get em Slip!

lol... thought for sure the 10" mark was going to fall... came up a bit short

20160528-I reached the launch late morning … greeted with summer like conditions…blue skies with a threat of t’storms later in the day. Water was dirty with algae blooms, a film and various tree seeds floating on top. Long casting little jigs technique will be out this afternoon and will be leaning towards the slip/float presentation. Pitching the jigs close to cover will be the alternate presentation.

By noon I was getting a skunking… many bass boats were in and out of the area on the bass opener making stealth presentations tough. I was ready to call it quits when my search rig loaded with a trimmed down 2” power minnow was gobbled by a 10” class heavily gravid b.gill. I thought Master Angler instantly when I raised the fish from the water. I trembled as I scaled the fish and discovered it was just short. The fish was carefully photo-ed and released.

In a short period I was hammered with many gill over 8” and (7) between 9-10” on the pink waxie. I felt for sure the 10” mark was going to fall. The small jigs such as my Spring Cricket performed well but fell short to the slip/float/pink waxie presentation. The jigs scored when presented close to wood or weed openings/edges.

After feeling the legs going numb and a shoulder ache I had to cut the trip short if I was going to make the walk back.

one of the big-uns

ss_20160528-BFOTD!! 9.6" B'Gill prespawn female

virtual livewell of the +90% Master Angler Rated fish

20160528. BIG BLUEGILL BOARD FOR THE DAY

20160529- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

planning on taking the flyrod out today with the kayak.... saw some great oppurtunity... Pink Waxies on a plain hook should do it.... also a foam spider just in case

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
17 hours ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Wednesday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
Wednesday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
Wednesday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Apr 20
Apr 19
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service