Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20160511- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

...weather turning really nice today... hopefully i'll be able to get out. itching to try a new lake

...downloaded this map from insight genesis social maps and loaded it right onto my elite 7 HDI

Wiggens Lake...

With grand anticipations and high expectations we proceded to launch the boat from a small private site that opened into a small protected bay that lead into a smaller shallower bay almost pond like in appearance. 1-2ft of water and semi weed choked. Visually scanning the are as I motored us laboriously thru the slop Earl and I spotted many large preds as well as pronounced schools of Panfish moving thru the weeds. Fly fishing would have been the technique of choice in this area of the lake. No fly fishing equipment in our possession at the time we proceeded to explore other marked choices in the lake.

We proceeded to the farthest point on the lake map and work our way back to the launch site. Upon arrival to the furthest point the wind started kicking up making lite line and float presentations impossible. We started fishing protected areas which were not prime locations on the map and started tagging a few small ones.

Finding our way into a small protected cove we started picking up on a better quality of B.Gill right up against the bank. Natural shorelines were producing better than break walled or cultured shorelines. We located a substantial root system and stump mid bay and Earl site fished a few large male B.Crappies that were in protection mode with dressed in the tuxedo black look. The crappie pulse on the water felt like mid spawn for crappies… some males protecting and we caught some lighter colored but egg laden females. I continued slip/floating the shoreline for the B.Gill bite and number started picking up. We spent some good quality time in that cove.

As the trip continued so did the improving weather so more spots opened up on the BOW for our presentations. The last remaining daylight was spent around a stump laden series of island and channels. The slip/float and open water crappie bite also improved till dark.

The proven or the most productive technique was the long casting tiny jigs (no Floats) with the super lines. This is proving to be an all-season method for us… from ice – out till ice – in.

20160511-EXPLORING NEW LAKE FOR THE PANFISH BITE

20160512- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

With a possibility od showers forecasted for this afternoon we headed out anyway…

I motored into a quiet warm corner of Wixom Lake and started picking up the B.Gills straight away with a slip/float and Pink Waxie in less than a foot of water. After picking up just a few B.Gills the action slowed to nothing.

Picking up anchor we relocated to one of many sheltered coves or cuts on Wixom Lake and spotted many fish on the sonar. Slip/floating picked up much activity but no hook ups. I cut the Pink Waxie in thirds and placed a tiny segment just on the barbless point of the hook and started picking up large golden shiners along with a few lite bite gills on the set-up.

We ducked underneath a bridge for over an hour from a cloud bank that suddenly appeared off Lake Michigan.

Fighting off the urge to pack it in for the day we decided to hit a popular cove where we had some frequent success. The pre-spawn crappie kept us busy for the remainder of the daylight. On the way out of the cove I spotted considerable crappie suspended off the main creek channel that closely approached the shoreline. Not resisting the temptation we pounded the fish with the tiny jigs and ended tagging a mixed bag including a bonus SMB. These tiny swim jigs catch everything!

ALL CPR'ed!!

Successful trip!

20160512~WIXOM LAKE TOUGH BITE WITH A RAIN INTERRUPTION

20160513- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

Once in great while a Y.Perch will surprise you out of this lake.

Caught long casting the tiny swim jig with 2# ice braid to the edge of the river channel.

0513161556-13" CLASS 93% MASTER ANGLER RATED Y.PERCH

20160516- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

…54° water temp at Wixom lake after the severe cold front... down from 64°

20160518- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

Conditions were great for throwing the UL jigs on the super lines yesterday… water temps on the rise and near calm seas. B.Gills were on their way in as water temps rose into the mid 60° range. Long expanses of likely water were empty as fish concentrated in large numbers in isolated areas. Finding the fish required the effort. Boats that came in at the launch from the morning fishing complained of neutral fish, cold waters and cold front. One boat had (6) crappie as best. I for one am addicted to the late afternoon early evening bite… especially during the spring season… fish become more active as the waters warm.

We decided to fish Wixom Lake today mainly out of convenience and we were curious to explore some potential hotspots that were glaring at us on the topo map. Our instincts were correct and found hoards of panfish roaming the shallow weedlines to the breakwalls. We passed a couple miles of near vacant shallow flats before reaching our waypoints.

It was one fish after another being tagged on the UL jigs. Earl found action with a trigger x swim minnow on a 1/32 oz jig. The plastic 3” bait was cut down approximately 30% to just under two inches and provided more hookups. I found the white Jelly Jig and my Spring Cricket more productive on my end. 2# ice braid and 3# Nano were key in providing some good casting distance with these light baits..

B.Gills and P’Seeds in the 90% Master Angler Rating were more common place today. Many were caught sight fishing as they were cruising the shallows. The main spawning run for these guys will be the full moon in June as water temps reach the low 70’s.

Slip/floating produced a few good fish but the jigging produced the larger specimens in greater numbers.

...a good P.Seed

20160518-BFOTD!! 8.4" P.Seed

...my best B.Gill of the day

0518161812~One of the Best B.Gill of the day

My best Crappie of the day...

0518161856~Wixom lake Best B.Crappie at 12"

Collage of todays catch

20160518 SHALLOW WEEDLINES WERE ON FIRE WITH THE LONG CASTS

productive baits of the day

RSS

Latest Activity

jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
7 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
yesterday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
yesterday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Apr 19
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Apr 18

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service