Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources has confirmed a new state-record catch for smallmouth bass.

Greg Gasiciel of Rhodes was bait-casting Sunday with a green grub when he landed a 9.33-pound, 24.50-inch smallmouth bass from Hubbard Lake in Alcona County.

The previous state record for smallmouth bass was set in 1906 with a 9.25-pound, 27.25-inch fish taken from Long Lake in Cheboygan County.

This marks the sixth state-record fish caught in 2015. State records are recognized by weight only. To qualify for a state record, fish must be verified by a DNR fisheries biologist.

Congrats Greg on breaking that 109 year old record!!

20151021- ...------<")))))><(

20151021- SmallMouth Bass Season continues...

Cant really complain… these SMB’s really fill in the gap when the panfish are not in the zone. I figure fish the fish that are biting and here we go. Ive had a great run of these fish for about 3 wks now… they are migrating from the upper reaches of the river towards the dam and settling in the deeper basins of the lake starting a half mile down river. I have never caught the same fish twice out of this spot... here today gone tomorrow.

This particular tag (fish to be released) came from a deeper pool edged by concrete and broken re-bar. I would love to send a camera down below to look at all the tackle that has been lost… mine included!! The fish picked up a 2”Berkley Power Minnow twitched on a 1/32 oz plain jig head. The jig and presentation is optimized by tapping the structure throughout the retrieve. Sure you’re going to lose some tackle but you make up for it in fish on and real potential for Master Angler sized fish… including the one I tagged late September.

The real difference in success compared to previous years is downsizing baits and using lighter lines. Through out the year ive been tagging large trophy sized fish on smaller  down to tiny sized baits… 30” plus Northern Pike on a Gulp Waxie?... done that. Put the bait in the zone and it will deliver.

20151021-WIXOM LAKE ... SmallMouth Bass Season continues

20152021 - tackle set up for the day...

20151022- ...------<")))))><(

20151022 a.m - The only thing i caught this morning as a good view

hey skunkings happen its part of fishing... maybe be back this afternoon...

20151023- ...------<")))))><(

20151023 - ... PRETTY MUCH CALLING THE OPEN WATER SEASON

freezing temps at night and 48 deg surf temps, heavy leaves on the water leading me to call the season… winterizing the boat this weekend and gearing up for ice fishing season. Its been a great 2015 ice fishing and open water season!! Much to be thankful for!!!

very tough flipping to open pockets of water

a couple of SMB's to officially end the season.

... baby SMB

20151024- ...------<")))))><(

20151024 ~ after some quick planning Earl and I decided to fish this weekend of the full moon.

He’s been working some heavy overtime and at the last minute made some adjustments to his schedule and made some time to fish this weekend of the full moon. My favorite trophy time. August 28th during the period of the full moon Earl landed a trophy Master Angler Yellow Bullhead. We saw and anticipated negative weather during the late afternoon and early evening … we loaded the foul weather gear and made off towards the lake. The bite was on and fish were flying over the gunwales. Lost count on exactly how many fish were caught because the camera phone was in its dry case most of the time due to rain. At one point I noticed it was wet and I pulled the battery and called it quits for the phone till it could be thoroughly dried. This phone has been thru hell and back but has always made a comeback. The boat saw 100 fish easily. The weather changed drastically from calm and clear to wind howling with whitecaps and horizontal rain at early dusk and nightfall. We fished my favorite waypoints through the storm and caught many of the larger crappie. Felt like we were being filmed in a Deadliest Catch episode. Finally called it quits in the middle of a strong bite because of weather. A trip certainly to remember.
20151024-KERSWILL lAKE-100 PLUS FISH DAY IN NASTY WEATHER
Best Fishes Of The Day...
20151024-BFOTD!!!

20151025- ...------<")))))><(

RSS

Latest Activity

Jim Gronaw commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

First Spawners of the Year

"We're behind too, specially now with the chilly, rainy weather during most of May."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Fatso GillCracker!

"Thanks y'all, it's been a great year so far!"
4 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

waywayanda Spinnerbait Pickerel

"Thanks Men, the Spinnerbait is finding them for sure. Great bait to search with and keep moving…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Stunning Colors on This Redbreast Sunfish…….5/16/2024

"The Shenendoah River has some beautiful turquoise finned RBS!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Excellent Jeff. I usually catch them in the Wanaque River Headwaters from the Greenwood Lake Dam.…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Thanks John….I appreciate every RBS I catch…….Growing up in Louisiana I only…"
yesterday
Thursday
Thumbnail

"View full size to appreciate this fish….."
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

With so many Coppernose on the Albemarle…..it’s a pleasant sight to catch the growing RBS ……love…
Thursday
Thumbnail

The Highly Desired “Whales” or Jumbo Soft Shells…..5/15/2024

"Love them……friends and family love when I cook soft shells……. This is a…"
Thursday
Thumbnail

Murray Bridges Watches Over His Salt Water Tanks a Few Years Back…

"Thanks John….one of my first jobs growing up in Louisiana was at a seafood market working…"
Thursday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thursday
Thumbnail

bbod3.3

"Thanks Jeff.! Greg and I had a good time ."
Thursday
Thursday
Thumbnail