Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20151006Very frustrating with no B’Gills or P’Seeds in the zone…

Using panfish jigs and baits I could not get a B’Gill Or P’Seed to bite… obviously they were not around . Only panfish to bite was a lone Y.Perch. in the a.m.. I went back in the p.m. at least test for crappies in the zone but took a SMB on the first cast with the 2” Power Minnow a fighter  with a powerful dogging run and acrobatics in full display. Moments later I connect with a real powerhouse 18" class SMB that had me wrapped up for a while … gave her some slack for a few seconds and she took off again. All the fish were tight up against some deeper structure in the form of building debris of concrete and rebar… tough stuff my braid and Nanofil. A dink 13” Walleye was brought to net with 2 SMB’s fighting for the jig in his mouth… what a sight! Had (4) SMB’s on and only landed (2) of them. Still had a blast!!

20151007-WIXOM LAKE ... slow bite ... but had some highlights

BFOTD!!

20151007_175217 BFOTD!!! 18" class

20151008- ...------<")))))><(

20151008Fall Turnover… a very frustrating time to fish…

I like to experience major changes in the lake environment especially when im out on my boat with my electronics. While fishing from shore late this morning  I had a discussion with a couple gents in a bass rig discussing the lake conditions…. He said water temp is at 57 degs down from the low 70’s less than 2 weeks ago the main lake body exhibited signs of fall turnover… cloudy water, low water temps and no thermocline shn on the electronics. They had a great time with the SMB s near the banks.

I ended up with a thinnish N.Pike with no panfish bites on the 2” jigs on 1/32 oz heads. I added a little bling to the jig to tag the Northern.

20151008 – Fall Turnover… a very frustrating time to fish…

20151008Spinner rig and Jig used

20151009- ...------<")))))><(

20151009 - when something's working on the fish ... i leave it on the rod till it stops producing.

yesterday i saved the day by attaching the spinner jig rig by enticing a N.Pike to save me from a skunking at the bridge... very tough bite as the cold front continues. today i leave the rods setup as they were yesterday and head out to the bridge for some more punishment...

g20151009-WIXOM LAKE~ late a.m. Bite all on UL Jigs and Bling

i end up with a mixed bag of SMB and White Bass. i was particularly excited to hit on the W.Bass thinking i may have located a school of them. they typically run in tight knit groups and provide great angler action. the fish hit on a Tabbert Jelly Jig worked close to the bottom of a 15' wide pool... but proved to be the only fish in the zone.

20151009 Wixom Lake 12" class White Bass

12" class W.Bass... love these fish

20151009-WIXOM LAKE.late p.m. bite

20151009- Never seems to fail… you get into a hot bite earlier in the week and you want to share the hot bite with friend or family member and the pattern or bite intensity degrades by the time you fish. I had a decent Y.Perch hook up straight away… then I had a nice bite and I felt the jig pull free… I then speed reeled to finish the cast and throw out the bait again in that spot… the 4# SMB followed the  bait all the way in grabbed it at the last second turned 180 degrees and started a reel screaming run!. Wow!! Fish exploded out of the water and thru the hook… I apparently did not have time to properly set the hook when the fish grabbed it! These fish never seem to amaze me. hooked into an adolescent SMB shortly after.

20151010- ...------<")))))><(

20151010- Worst Personal fishing day on Wixom Lake ever...

marked tons of fish yesterday suspended in the water column through out the lake. tried micro jigging the fish suspending in front of their mouths using the sonar ... not one panfish hit. caught a lone N.Pike of 25" that looked like it had a close call with a Muskie. Post turnoveer fishing could be brutal for awhile till things settle down.

20151010- The Question is…Why Fish a Lake at Fall Turnover when you know the outcome may be poor results?

You fish the bad times for valuable time on the water… firsthand experience recognizing negative or neutral fish behavior during the most stressful periods of time during the fishing season… the spring and fall turnovers. The waters are near common temps throughout the water column and the fish become confused and severely disrupts normal behavior. Fishing those times … actually experiencing this behavior builds on your fishing repertoire and experience and makes you a better fisherman overall. Actually presenting the bait down to suspended fish with enticing jigs and bait tippings with ice fishing electronic precision and having the fish turn its nose towards it … is valuable experience.

20151011- ...------<")))))><(

20151011- Fishing a Lake experiencing the fall Turnover compared to a lake that doesn’t have a Fall Turnover

I had a great opportunity to fish two lakes in two straight days of similar weather patterns to compare the effect of the fall turnover on overall fishing performance. 20151010 fishing on Wixom Lake fishing mid fall turnover I experienced probably the worst fishing experience of my life…. Fish were recorded on sonar everywhere in the lake because of uniform temps and neutral behavior … suspended in the column from top to bottom ignoring all our offerings. We tagged one pred N.Pike all session without another bite.

We decided to fish a small natural lake the following day that does not experience a fall turnover and experienced a completely different occurrence. Fish were feeding in the shallow weed beds following the lake edge shoreline as a pattern. We slammed them in the shallows with slip bobbers and bait( crawler bits and Pink Waxies). The boat brought in easily more than a hundred fish (conservative estimate) between Earl and I. what a night and day experience between fishing outings! We extended the outing into the early dusk to experience the night crappie bit and we did just as well.

g20151011-KERSWILL LAKE

BFOTD!!! drop shotting the flats along the weedline with Pink Waxies

20151011_173131 ~ BFOTD!! 9" class B'Gill

Trophy P'Seed caught slip bobbering the bank with crawler bit

20151011- 8.8 P'Seed Hybrid .98 Master Angler Rated

some of the shorelines we were fishing ...

fishing setups of the day...

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
7 hours ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
16 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
yesterday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
yesterday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Apr 19
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service