Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20150920 ~ Tough Day on Kerswill Lake… ended up with a couple Jumbo P’Seeds

The days plan started fishing the large shallow expanses fishing slip bobbers baited with waxies or nite crawler bits casted in between weed clumps. That paid off big for me with a couple jumbo P’Seeds and Earl tagged a 9”plus B’Gill.  However we could tell the bite was slow and had to work for every bite. Decided to head out deeper and doing some quick scans revealed very little crappie in schools. The rest of the afternoon was spent trying everything and tagging the most fish on 2.5”Trigger-x swim baits or the Berkley 2”Power Minnow.

The day was beautiful with mostly sunny skies and no wind water surf. Temps in the low 70’s still

20150920-Top Tier P'Seeds on a Slow Day

Big P'Seed of the Day...  96% Master Angler Rated at 8.6"

IMG_20150920_152312~BFOTD!!! .96 MAR P'Seed @ 8.6"

20150921- ...------<")))))><(

wow a really tough bite on Wixom lake

20150921 ~ BFOTD!!! but where are my B'Gills?

BFOTD!! ~ Black Crappie just nudging the 11" mark... did not even make the 80% Master Angler Rating. i show and record everything. Its tracking Time On The Water .. and this is where knowledge is gained. More Time on the Water = More knowledge gained = more fish caught

IMG_20150921 ~ BFOTD!! at 11" class was a tough showing

20150921 ~ Tough Day on Wixom Lake… Caught a few Resistant B.Crappie but where are My B’Gills?!!

Spent two hours tossing the slip bobber rig and dropshot but ended up with a skunking on the B’Gills…while visually scanning the shallow weedbeds I noticed a couple crappies with their heads buried in the dense weed edges in 1.5’  FOW. Talk about neutral fish! Spotting this negative behavior I believe the B’Gills were in the same mood also. I concentrated on jigging close to cover and ended up with a few crappies. I also tried dabbling dropshot into thick weed pockets with no response.

Weather was clear bluebird skies with calm but winds variable mainly coming from the north. Not severe conditions but cold front nonetheless. My experience on the water suggests fishing closer to cover with slower and smaller presentations to at least tag a few fish.

The Berkley 2” Power Minnow and Tabbert Green Jelly Jig were the baits of choice

Water temps stable and in the upr 60’s

20150921 ~ Wixom Lake fishing the tough bite...Where are the B'Gills??

20150922- ...------<")))))><(

20150923- ...------<")))))><(

20150923~ preparing to go out later to really focus on the B"Gill target. I'm thinking of hitting the weed canopies in 5-8 FOWwith short range pinpoint casts by way of wobble bobbers and gulp.

20150923 ~ Another Slow Day Without B’Gills… some fish though in the electronic creel

Couldn’t ask for better weather here in mid Michigan… but would like to see some better fishing to go along with that weather. Fishing was at a slow pace mainly because of the time spent looking for that elusive B’Gill in this lake… again this is not my lake of choice for catching the Gill. After striking out with drop shot and slip bobber rigs looking for B’Gill I switched up to panfish jigs and immediately hit a tiny walleye then moments later a small yellow Perch. Continuing with the action on the tiny swim jigs I hooked into an acrobatic SMB that took a while to get in with the 2# braid. The fish made my day! While heading home tagged a few B. Crappie on the same bait from widely scattered schools or solitary fish

Water temps in the low 70’s

20150923-WIXOM LAKE... Bright Skies,Calm Seas, No B'Gills and a Slow Bite

20150923 ~ BFOTD!!! 17" Class SMB

on a UL spin rod rig with 2# braid baited with a 2" smelt Power Minnow twitched along a 3-8 FOW dropoffBFOTD!!! 17" class SMB on a UL spin rod rig with 2# braid baited with a 2" smelt Power Minnow twitched along a 3-8 FOW dropoff on a UL spin rod rig with 2# braid baited with a 2" smelt Power Minnow twitched along a 3-8 FOW dropoff

20150923-Wixom Lake ~ BFOTD!! SMB 17" class

20150924- ...------<")))))><(

20150924 ~ Another Day not Finding the Fish… BFOTD!!! 9“ Class B’Gill

Hit a nice 9” class B’Gill right away at the launch with a 2” Berkley Swim Jig… Ripple shad in Olive Green. Anchored and fished the area thoroughly without another hit.  Throughout the rest of the outing I hit scattered fish, Y. Perch B. Crappies and (3) large SMB that ended up shaking the hook in long battles. I know ive made comments on fishing being slow… slow in the way of non productivity… just unable to find the fish in proven spots. Mobility in the kayak is physically limited and time consuming. The effort in finding the concentrations of fish that have obviously changed positions is sometimes long and tedious in the kayak.

20150924_Wixom Lake ... Could not find the schools today

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted photos
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Shad Rap collection. My first three Walleyes were caught on the small sized back in the 80's.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"More classic end of April Baits .Water temp got to 62-64 and the Stick worm worked a charm on Good…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

End of April Lures

"Killer color Stick worm for overcast conditions. Black/Gold Fleck 5" "
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"You bet Jeff!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Tracy, not sure. This could be a later Perch spawner but not sure if 62–64-degree Water Temp,…"
yesterday
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"healthy looking LMB!!"
yesterday
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"very cool.  are those spawning colors on that fish?  the fewni catch are never that dark."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Thanks Jeff! Good action yesterday."
Thursday
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"For certain, Jeff!"
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Nice perch….."
Thursday
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Nice Predators John and Greg!"
Thursday
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"Largemouth party….."
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Wednesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo