Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a must read article for any fisherman... not just bluegills

I've said it for years, and I'll say it again: It may be nigh impossible for anglers to fish down the QUANTITY of bluegills in a given BOW, but it's absolutely possible to fish down the QUALITY. Please harvest selectively, and realize that no two bodies of water are the same!

20150811 - despite high winds approaching 20 mph I took a short trip to do some shallow water B'Gill fishing. As expected I had difficulty making accurate casts. The float drifted uncontrollably and tangled with the weeds quickly. Short trip produced one small fish.

20150812 - Fishing the bridge in the a.m.and the skinny water on Wixom Lake in the p. m. cont...

20150812 - the a.m. bite at the bridge....

after noticing on a previous fishing trip to the bridge the water was crystal clear. I installed an ice fishing reel with 2 pound test braid on my four and a half foot ultralight spinning rod. I brought a handful of ice Jigs and tiny plastic bodies. first cast loaded up with a nice crappie and proceeded to catch a few more after that... Nice little outing.

20150812-WIXOM LAKE- Crappie Outing

20150812 - the p.m. bite

continuing with the prosperous skinny water bite with the kayak fishing the shallow water weedy flats... caught all fish on UL spinning rigs with slip floats and GULP waxies. Bonus chunk LMB... what a spectacular fight!!! all CPR'ed

20150812-WIXOM LAKE2 - went back for the pm bite in the kayak

20150813 - Fishing the skinny water on Wixom Lake cont...

20150813 - the p.m. bite

...fished a new stretch of skinny water. the bottom was solid and firm with sand and i was able to wade and bushwhack them with more precision. im getting very addicted to this style of fishing. of course its alot more work than finding a school of gills or crappies in open water and dropping the jigs or drop shot to them... dont get me wrong i love catching fish and when possible loads of them. this just seems new and virtually untapped... i have not seen one other fisherman in the areas i fished! this lake has a ton of fishing pressure and lots of skinny water, weedy shorelines as well.

20150813-WIXOM LAKE- Solid outing on the weedy flats

20150813 - the p.m. bite

... i was able to get out of the kayak and stretch my legs at this point on some nice firm bottom composition... the 18" LMB was residing under the far edge of the small pad bed just ahead of me in about 12 to 18" of water.

GOPR1918-003- wading the flats

20150813-Wixom Lake ... BFOTD 18" class LMB

...BFOTD!!! i realize other states have a distinct advantage over the state of Michigan does not stop me from still appreciating the fish. a fish this size in Michigan is easily seven yrs old some states with longer growing seasons a gill this age would easily reach over 10"

20150813_125603 BFOTD 8.5" B'Gill

Every winter on the Indiana ice fishing board the subject of Michigan bluegills comes up. Most Hoosier anglers in the northern part of the state will claim Michigan gills are larger, on average, than those in Indiana waters. They attribute this to a 25 panfish limit, where Indiana has no limit on gills.

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted photos
5 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted a photo
yesterday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
Wednesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Wednesday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
Wednesday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
Wednesday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker