Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20151206- ...------<")))))><(

20151206-ROSS LAKE~ Preds on the B'Gill Tackle

With the kayak in storage, boat is all winterized and no ice on the lakes to find a fix for the obsession as we know it “fishing” earl and I decided to hit some shoreline fishing spots for some crappie, B’Gills and Preds (if they get in our way). Our strategy is the UL panfish rigs with tiny jigs and thin SuperLines. We also each brought a med spinning rig for preds.  We wanted to fill a slot of some panfish and one pred either a N.Pike  (between 24 and 30”) or a SMB between 14 and 16”.

We started the day with the most likely spots and worked our way down to least likely. Things looked gloomy and it seemed we were destined for a skunking. One shoreline spot failed after another. The least likely spot quickly started producing with a good SMB on and then shortly after off. Was the only bite so far of the day and I lost it. Earl then quickly tied into some successive fish after he scaled down to smaller panfish jigs. I soon followed and connected with a nice fighter at 15” class. Truly incredible fighting fish these SMB’s are. Always in awe when doing the battle with these guys. The 2” power Minnow was the key producer on 3# Nanofil in the bright yellow color. Casts a country mile.

We genuinely lucked out with intersecting forces with these preds… they could of just as easily been just a few feet out of casting range. Feel very lucky to be able to participate in another day of fishing.

20151206-ROSS LAKE~ Preds on the B'Gill Tackle

BFOTD!!

1206151535_HDR-001~ BFOTD!!! 15" class SMB

light jigging application confirmation Nanofil...

im really having a blast with it.

20151207- ...------<")))))><(

20151207 - busy day ahead... walk to the bridge and make a few casts... then get my fly tying equipment together and tie a few "Spring Crickets" for next season... even though i dont fly fish by rule now i have some ideas on fly concepts id like to tie.

You have to have something to do in the Winter, when we can't fish!  Unless, of course, it's ice-fishing.....

...and there is that transition time between open water and safe ice and then safe ice and open water in the spring you cant do anything

20151208- ...------<")))))><(

20151208- while scouring the area for fish , panfish, preds anything came up with one lowly N.Pike...

started out fancasting the area with a 3.5" Ripple Shad and focusing on the structures i pinpointed with the kayak earlier in the season... nothing... not a nibble. worked over the same areas with the ripple shad dying minnow technique ... even dead sticking it in key areas... nothing. so i loaded up the Micro UL spinning rigs with pink GULP Waxies and dropshotted the area as well as slip bobbered. the slip bobber set to about 13-14 ft deep over a known 15 ft hole signaled a slight action in the still water. set the hook with a quick snap and after a lively little battle by an energetic pike slid the net under the little guy. fun yes but it was satisfying for the fight and verification that the spot should be put to rest for the season. Panfish and Bass are gone... small transient pike are in. I believe the food source just is not there to make them hang out. so yes a very successful season at that spot... many trophy sized SMB's including 2 Master Angler sized and a Master Angler Carp... yes the spot has been good to me. Cant wait for next season!

1207151604a_HDR ~ 21" class N.Pike

20151209- ...------<")))))><(

...so yesterday I uploaded a snap directly from my new phone and noticed it vertically compressed on the BBG web site... this is the first time it has happened to me but I see it often happening to many members. I believe it is caused by pictures being taken in the HDR format. when I saved a screen shot of the phone snap and resent it to the BBG web site the picture showed correct. might be worth trying if you are currently experiencing that problem with snap uploads.

20151209- made a bid for an alternate dinner tonight on the way home from the grocery store...

had plans for a good chicken meal or one SMB or N.Pike in the slot ... if we could catch one. had about 40mins before dark ... so we grabbed the road warrior box of light tackle and the ULites from the SUV... ended up with a couple SMB's short of the slot.

what proved significant was the pattern of tiny bait still continues.... we thru some 3 and 3.5 inch swim jigs as well with no hits. 2" Power Minnow continues its productive streak!

2015-12-09-22-17-26-1-BFOTD and only fish of the day

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted photos
2 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Shad Rap collection. My first three Walleyes were caught on the small sized back in the 80's.…"
10 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"More classic end of April Baits .Water temp got to 62-64 and the Stick worm worked a charm on Good…"
11 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

End of April Lures

"Killer color Stick worm for overcast conditions. Black/Gold Fleck 5" "
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"You bet Jeff!"
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Tracy, not sure. This could be a later Perch spawner but not sure if 62–64-degree Water Temp,…"
11 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"healthy looking LMB!!"
14 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"very cool.  are those spawning colors on that fish?  the fewni catch are never that dark."
14 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Thanks Jeff! Good action yesterday."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"For certain, Jeff!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Nice perch….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Nice Predators John and Greg!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"Largemouth party….."
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo