Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20150806 - got some gaps to fill on my mapping

20150805 - you know its going to be a bad day of panfishing when you scour your local shore fishing haunt and come up short... and all you have to show for your efforts is a lone short SMB. blaming it on the high pressure system following the storm front.

20150806~Wixom Lake… I set off today to finish some sonar mapping gaps in my Wixom Lake topographical survey. While paddling thru the course I noticed a sand bar surrounded by eel grass beds. I noticed a large saucer shaped fish idling and moving forward slowly. This panfish visually scaled over 10”. I let the kayak pass slowly with the wind to within casting distance of the fish. I paused , cracked a beer and took a small breather to collect my wits. I adjusted the float stop knot to about 18” for a 2-0’ depth of water where the fish resided. One cast and let the bobber rest moments later it disappeared set the hook and a heavy fish was battling. After a short combat I tried to ease the fish in with my left hand and it shook the hook at the boat … it was all of 10+ inches of P’Seed. I was stunned and then dispirited. The Master Angler P’Seed disappeared into the shadows. I casted a few more times along the weed edge with the newly formed Bush Whacker Rig and set the hooks into another sizable panfish. I was astounded to see which appeared to be a Master Angler sized B’Gill. After securing into the Kayak the fish just measured .3 inches short…. WHAT!!!! What a great looking fish! I had a hard time releasing that fish! It took a few moments for me to realize the string of events that just occured!

IMG_20150806 - 10-0" class Hand Hider Bluegill

IMG_20150806_172156 ...7.5"er caught Bush Whacking

20150806 - Here is a picture of a fish that greatly reminded me of the B'Gill i caught today...it was caught at Five Lakes Drop shotting a night crawler bit in over 20-0 FOW under completely different circumstances. Today's fish was caught Bush whacking the weeds in less than 3-0 FOW while last years fish was caught in a different lake 22-0 ' deep without a weed in sight. So fish deep.. fish shallow and everywhere in between!

checking "My Fishing Advisor Pro" against the (3) fish caught/nearly caught lined up perfectly with an increase in activity level at 6:00 p.m.

20150807 - looks like a great day for B'Gill Fishing till 20:00 then drops off like a rock. i find myself consulting daily with the FISH ADVISORY PRO"

20150807 ~ All i know is i should be on that spot for that missed Master Angler sized P'Seed somewhere between 16:00 and 20:00 p.m.

20150807 ~ Wixom Lake ... "Fishing The Shallow Slop"

20150807-WIXOM LAKE-Pitching the weed gaps with Slip Bobbers and Pink Waxies

20150807-Wixom Lake…. I had about 2hrs to fish including travel time before the rain will hit. So I decided to switch game plans from deeper weed edges to the shallow slop bite with slip bobbers set to 8 -12 inches. Accurate casts and pitches to gaps and pockets in the weed slop, lily pads and floating debris. A great exercise for kayak fishing. Caught a few B’Gills up to eight inches and a bonus upper 20’s class Northern Pike.

IMG_20150807 WHY I LOVE NORTHERN PIKE

Selfie Blooper!

While fishing the slop and weed gaps I heard commotion from preds working the shallows and sending baitfish scurrying to the surface causing quite the commotion. my little tiny hook holding a 3/8” long gulp pink waxie sitting under a small thill pro float just feet from the bank in 1-6’ FOW got slammed by a huge pred. huge in the way anything fights the big fight on a MUL spinning rig . the only thing giving an edge in my favor was the 6-0# braid between me and the Pike. The Northern fought a commanding battle running a few circles around the kayak towing me around a bit. The weeds were being cut at the stalks by the braid like a huge weed whacker. Weeds were building up on the line and I thought for sure this fish would be lost. Somehow luck on my side I managed to land the beast and the battle ensued on board the kayak. Gotta love these Northern Pike

Wow, looks like that was fun!  It always amazes me the size of fish that will eat those UL lures.  In my spots it's usually a channel cat or pickerel.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service