Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Earl and Connor...

20150914- ...------<")))))><(

20150914~ What a Difference a Day Makes....

Jumped on the chance to hit Kerswill Lake despite the results of the previous day at Wixom Lake. Locale lakes are experiencing a severe cool down after a series of days of lows in the low 40s. water temps dropped to surface temps in the mid 60s from low 80s just days prior… OUCH!!

The forecast was projected to be a near perfect summer day… clear skies light winds and moderate temps in the low 80’s. a weather rebound! Forecast is also upbeat for the rest of the week.
It didn’t take long for us to connect on some fish on one of our lake hotspots. Drop shotting chartreuse and pink waxies in about 20+ FOW was the ticket at this particular spot and B’Gill came to vessel one after another. We fished for B’Gill till about 18:00 and then slowly switched to crappie. Tabbert Jelly Jigs, YammaMinnows and 2” Power Minnows on 1/32 oz jig heads were used to nail them.

Kept about 20 fish in my new revamped live well that kept the fish fresh for hours. the B'Gills and Crappie that were kept fit the slot under 8" for the gills and under 11" for the Black Crappie

20150913-Kerswill Lake – What a Difference from One Day To the Next…

Jumbo P'Seed caught testing the shallow water bite with a GULP Pink Waxie under a slip float

20150914~BFOTD 8.6" P'Seed 96% Master Angler Rated
Bonus LMB caught on the GULP Waxie always a welcome and pleasant surprise on the UL equipment.

20150914~ First Personal Recorded Catch of Red Ear ...couple of my local lakes must of stocked them when i wasnt looking... lol

20150914~ First Personal Recorded Catch of Red Ear

Water temperature at the beginning of the afternoon started at 69 degrees and at the end of the day it was 72

20140914~ Sonar Screen Dump Showing Crappie Attacking Bait

i though i'd share an awesome screen dump i took yesterday of deep Black Crappie attacking a bait ball of 1 - 2" B'Gill. dropping a dropshot rigged with a 2" power minnow produced many crappie to the boat. we discovered numerous bait balls roaming the upper layer of the deep basins . these Bluegill fingerlings were everywhere. what an astounding tool the modern sonar devices are!

20140914~ Sonar Screen Dump Showing Crappie Attacking Bait

20150915- ...------<")))))><(

took the day off of work (fishing) ... a liitle back and neck rest.

20150916- ...------<")))))><(

20150916-Crappie kind of day on Wixom Lake

After taking yesterday off due to stiffness and pain I decided to hit Wixom Lake with the Kayak for some panfish jigging the lite stuff. Took a slip bobber to do double duty with the B’Gill tight to the bank and laydowns. We did so well a couple days ago with both Crappie and B’Gills I thought I would extend the streak.
Once down at the lake and ready to launch I noticed I forgot the transducer for the sonar. So I would just be using the mapping on the Elite 4 – HDI … fishing old school it is. So I shoved off and tagged a Crappie on one of my first casts. Good start I thought. Using my GPS and Insight Genesis map on the Elite 4 HDI I positioned myself on weedy points, inside and outside bends. The crappies were tagged (caught) quite readily. The great fishing and weather continues! Crappies ranged from 8 to 11.5” great sport on the Ultra Lite equipment. Struck out on the B’Gill with slip bobbers in all my key spots. Caught a jumbo 8.6” B’Gill on a 2” Power Minnow mixed in with the Black Crappie.
Great Outing!

20150916-WIXOM LAKE~Crappie day on Wixom Lake

20150917- ...------<")))))><(

20150917~ The Hot Black Crappie Bite Continues…

Took a lot of determination to get back out on the lake today… no pain no gain right? With this hot crappie bite going on my local lakes right now seems to be the best time to produce that wall hanger. Hit a drop off from 3-0’ to 9-0’ inside bend that was loaded with them… small minnows were breaking water everywhere in that area. Action was fast with UL tackle loaded with small diameter braid and UL Jigs steep shoreline breaks and laydowns and brush also produced thinner schools.

20150917~ The Hot Black Crappie Bite Continues…

20150917 ~ Lure selection for the past couple days...

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Stunning Colors on This Redbreast Sunfish…….5/16/2024

"View full size to appreciate this fish….."
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Stunning Colors on This Redbreast Sunfish…….5/16/2024

With so many Coppernose on the Albemarle…..it’s a pleasant sight to catch the growing RBS ……love…
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Highly Desired “Whales” or Jumbo Soft Shells…..5/15/2024

"Love them……friends and family love when I cook soft shells……. This is a…"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Murray Bridges Watches Over His Salt Water Tanks a Few Years Back…

"Thanks John….one of my first jobs growing up in Louisiana was at a seafood market working…"
5 hours ago
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
11 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

bbod3.3

"Thanks Jeff.! Greg and I had a good time ."
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

MIDMAYCATCHERS

"Yea Jeff , a little prism tape never hurts. One of my best spinnerbaits. "
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Highly Desired “Whales” or Jumbo Soft Shells…..5/15/2024

"I’ve fished for blue crabs my entire life…….the only type of fishing that my…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"It’s soft shell crab season in coastal North Carolina and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Mr. Murray Bridges, a legendary water-man"
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"After heavy rain overnight and no thunderstorms north of the sound, I decided to go to a Creek by my house to fish a couple hours late today"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Another Quality Pair of Gills……5/14/2024

"We have a month going for sure……Mother Nature is threatening us now with…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

MIDMAYCATCHERS

"L like the bleeding blade on the spinner bait……way to go old school John!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo