Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

has anyone heard of people using pieces of hot dogs or corn as bait? i've heard of it but never tried it.

Views: 5436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use hot dog pieces for Bullheads.I cut a hot dog into eight pieces of bait.They work good.
never heard of doing this. i might try it later
Dale- It works best for me at dusk till three or four hours later from August through late November / early December .
I've seen corn used for carp and trout and hot dogs for catfish.
I feed my tilapia a can of corn twice a week. Them when I'm ready to catch a few guess whats on my hook?
I've caught a couple of bluegills at a local lake on hot dogs, but it was at a marina where they serve actual hot dogs and people throw the dogs in the water on occasion.
Lol Guess those dogs aint fit for human consumption.
Bruce beat me too it, but I'm sure we are talking about the same lake. Beastly bluegills too.
Corn is very good and cheap for big carp and I knew a guy who used hot dogs and even bacon for bullheads at night at Pinchot Lake in PA. He actually caught a 20-pound channel cat on the hot dog one night when fishing for bullheads. Cool!
My dad loved cumming the water with corn...especially for trout.
Haha, if your dad did that he probably would be arrested on the spot...But anyway, I've had success using hot dog bits for bluegill. Chicken liver also works fantastically on catfish.
I remember going on a day-camp type of fishing field trip in Wisconsin when I was maybe seven. We took school buses out to some lake and fished with bacon brought by the people in charge. Little bluegill (probably 3 inches or so) were all over it. You couldn't avoid catching one even if you wanted to.

IIRC that trip was catch and release only, they didn't have any provision for taking anything home even if somebody did catch a keeper, but it's funny how as you get older things get more like when you were a kid. My wife says keep even the little ones, says they're better eating anyway :-)

RSS

Latest Activity

Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

No Sunlight Left But Still a Great Sight in Nature….3/1/2024

"Because of patriotic people such as you we have all of our freedoms. Thank You"
3 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"You've helped a lot of Fisher folks here, but we all have to apply knowledge to our specific…"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's status
"Don’t know if I help anyone but I try to share John….thanks.."
11 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"We both love fishing and bald eagles Bruce….being a retired submariner and a fleet support…"
11 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Record Kansas Crappie
11 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"Thanks for weighing in with your report , Jeff!"
12 hours ago
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"They are beautiful to watch. There are nesting pairs along a few of the creeks I fish. I'm…"
13 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

I’ve been taking photos of this bald eagle for almost ten years…..part of a mating pair not far…
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"With tomorrow a washout here in coastal N.C., I pushed to get out after work this afternoon….some surface temps at 54 degrees, bass fest"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's status
"Hope it’s sooner than later John…….I fished a few hours after work this…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Largemouth Selfie…..Chunky …..2/25/2024

"Thanks John…….we’re getting so excited and eager here….we’ve had…"
yesterday
John Sheehan posted a status
"44-degree WT in NW Cove and 46-degree WT in NE Cove. Won't be long for some ice out pre-spawn shore Fishing;"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Great info Jeffrey! Hope you have a great Year of Fishing! I am sure you will!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Nice bass John…..we’re getting very excited locally because we saw a big warm up this…"
Thursday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Jeffrey-One of the first lures I catch Bass on after ice clears is a old reaper style Bait on a…"
Thursday
Thumbnail

"Very active Dick….. John I was searching for shallow panfish icebreakers with a soft plastic…"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

Sunset on the Little River…..2/22/2024

"The sun sets everywhere but over water makes for some of the best ……thanks…"
Wednesday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"At least you didn't get skunked nice winter time bass Jeff "
Wednesday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by