Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What Jim Gronaw is talking  possible safe ice in South East PA before Christmas.!!?

Last Year Jan 5th was my first trip out ice fishing .Would love for it to be earlier this year .The gear is ready!! When the deep open water of the Monksville reservoir ices over by the Dam then I know it's definately safe on  the small shallow lakes I like to start the season at.

Views: 240

Replies to This Discussion

Hey John...it's true! Just got a hold of a couple baitshops and there is safe 4" of ice in some areas of Shephard-Myers Dam, near Hanover and at Pinchot Lake hear Dillsburg. They are getting crappie and gills at SM and bass and pickerel at Pinchot. Projected temperatures for the next 10 days indicate that daytime highs will be near freezing with lows around 20..so it should slowly make, not lose ice during that time. Still, we will be cautious and always check.

Got my 2011 fishing license already and the gears set so I'm ready when the ice is!Hopefully definately by NewYears Day.

The Northwest corner of the Monksville reservoir has had  a few ice fisherman going at it .The SW section by the dam is open. I think I'll wait a bit . I'll be there soon enough I've waited this long . I 'm thinking before the years out I may be on the ice!!

Couldn't resist .Drilled 6 holes and fished three jigging rods on the Nw section of the Monksville Reservoir ...I was the only one on the ice . Saw two guys there earlier today.Nothin'.
That a boy, John! Be the first in your neighborhood to catch a slab through the ice this season! You'll get em!
Ice is about 3&1/2-4"Cupsaw produced four gills7-8"Males ,one hen,  and three small yellows through two holes today at midday. Fished about 1&1/2 hrs.Wet snow at the the beginning of the blizzard drove me off the ice and leaving them hitting. No slabs but the gills and perch were sweet to see again coming up through the hole! The were on bottom or just above at about 12-15'
Hi Guys been a while .   Some of the protected bays of champlain have become safe to fish.   Went out Friday and caught a few perch and one bluegill which is a first for me.   Made it back out today and caught a few more perch.  These are not my favorite places to fish but they are safe which is important.   about 6 inches of ice

Howard what'd those Perch hit ?I didn't use tipups today, just jigging rods .Chartruese Genz worm and chartruese Teardrop tipped with mealworms or Power Maggotts took all 8 released fish.

Windy ,cold and freezing snow ,a bit tough to say the least.Didnt stay long but found the fish with my first hole.

There is now 19" of snow on the ice, more where the drifts built up . Don't know when safe ice will be next.Glad i got in a little yesterday before this blizzard.
so far we have been missed just very high wind
We used spikes minnows Hali jigs swedish pimples and Babitts they were fussy
1/1/2011..Vernon Valley Lake with Greg...6-10' 8"-1'6"off bottom
10 fish 2LM,15" and 13 ",3CR 12,"9",10",5 GILLS (four 8"one 5") OR.Genz worm,Chartruese ,orange teardrops/Mealworms or Gulp Maggots ..Rattlin' Flyer spoon took two Cr small gill

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
3 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
4 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
4 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
4 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
19 hours ago
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
22 hours ago
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
22 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."