Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I have an older 6 ft. Fenwick fiberglass rod (#FF60) that my dad bought back in 1971 that is in perfect condition.  The rod has a sticker that says to use an "AFTMA FLY LINE 5-6".  Is that numbering/line weight system still in use today?  A number 5 or 6 line seems a little heavy for this little rod.  I really want to try this rod on some Bluegill!  Anyone have any input on older flyrods and line size?

Views: 206

Replies to This Discussion

Some of those old rods line out a little lighter than what's listed - also glass rods can take a wider variety of line weights. I'd try a 3 or 4 on it if you have it. Some others out there may have more experience with that particular rod and can give you a better idea. You can also try your question at the fiberglass flyrodders forum. Good people over there.
I have a 1970 Abu Garcia 5/6 wt fiberglass rod. I love the rod so I experimented with it through the years. I found that these older slow action rods like a double taper line, I would suggest a 5 wt. If you use a weight forward line I suggest a 4wt . Courtland 333 line is awsome and cheap,of the two I suggest a ddouble taper you will enjoy the delicate casts, seeing as how you don't need long casts for Gill fishing. Check out www.TheFiberglassManifesto.com or email him at thefiberglassmanifesto@gmail.com. Good luck
Dave Sabo

AFTMA Fly Line 5-6.....

AFTMA...American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers Association

Fly Line.....pretty obvious ...these association boys are very exact though

5-6....that is the line weight for 30' of line

You have a great all around rod for panfish and bass....I think Chris may be right and go with a 4 or 5 weight line...start with a single or double taper floating line...you'll have a blast...

I am not familiar with that rod but most of these old glass rods are slow action. I would first try a 5wt double taper floating line. A 4wt might be better but I doubt it. It is true that these old glass rods are forgiving on line wt.. I use Weight Forward lines mostly but I have one DT (double taper) on my 2wt and I really like it for gill and SMB in the small creeks that I mostly fish. That Fenwick should be treasured. They made a fine rod back in the day. Is the rod a dark brown or more of a gold color?

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"The Beetle Spin When Virgil Ward set out to create a new lure back in 1948, he had no intention of…"
2 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Classic Fishing Lures That Have Stood the Test of Time   Outdoor America Article…"
2 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Biggest of Ten Largemouth Today…..6/19/2024

"Thanks John…..you can see how black and tannic the water was in this area…."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Biggest of Ten Largemouth Today…..6/19/2024

The bass were harassing the shallow gills today so we cross paths with a few that gave up their…
Wednesday
John Sheehan posted photos
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Last day of Spring for 2024….splashed early to avoid the heat dome…surface temps up to 82.7 degree..mixed seven species for bag of 86 fish.."
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

hbridjig

"Thanks Dick, some sweet colors but only a few. "
Wednesday
Thumbnail

Quality Pumpkinseed ……6/13/2024

"Thanks Dick….the turquoise mottling is always impressive…."
Tuesday