Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I see struggle out there fishing for our beloved gills. I read the setups and I know the answers to fix most of the problems- we fish Derrick Rose-Style.
If you haven't seen him play, you owe it to yourself to watch a game when he is in. Bulls announcer Stacy King, when "D" Rose fires down the lane into the trees ( Rose is only 6' 3") and with speed he lifts a shot over the defenses heads before they can react. The announcer yells "too big, too strong, too fast!"
Our cold weather setups need to be the opposite when the water temps are on this side of 65 - 90% of the setups are garbage that I read for coldwater, this goes for most everything hanging on the baitshop wall. None of our lures and even live bait tackle provides chilled fish opportunity or a trigger to want to eat them. I have never seen a daphnia lure... but when the mercury dips, anglers need to take a serious look at thier tackle. I think a great test if our setups IS cold water and I would take it one step further to say if your rig catches in cold- it will catch even better in warm water. That said , my cold water rigs don't vary that much from the warm weather tackle. Do you give up when the water gets cold or do you give up because you are not catching fish? Maybe you ate fishing too big, to strong and too fast.

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your problem is man. Man around Madison have stripped your larger fish from the system. If you upgrade your tactics though, you will catch more fish and will run into the occasional 10" - the only problem is, you want to take care of those larger fish - as you said, they are rare near you.

When the going gets tough - forget the jig, go with micro shot (Super Doux)  and  this might be the trick. We are including open water when the water chills, after a cold rain, cold front or inactive periods. When you aren't catching change and try this stuff.

The parked shanty - I think they are playing cards...

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

We’re in The Middle of the North Carolina Blue Crab/Brown Shrimp Season…..6/13/2024

This is a great time for culinary seafood in coastal North Carolina……the markets and restaurants…
yesterday

Great Products for UV Protection…..6/13/2024

I love the newest technology of clothing available….lightweight and breathable but offering max…
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Thursday
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out a little while,hot and windy today…..ran out of crickets in a creek drainage. Water falling with forage items moving…fun in the heat"
Thursday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"JUNE SPOONS"
Wednesday
John Sheehan posted photos
Wednesday
Tuesday
Monday
Monday
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"We had a great weather weekend and the fish got the memo……"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Dinner Was Great Tonight…….6/8/2024

"Thanks John….a lot like cooking fish, the fresher the better……all of these…"
Monday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Jun 9
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"These are clean and ready to cook!"
Jun 8

Fresh “Whale” soft shell crabs fried in corn flour and peanut oil, paired with some creamy grits……
Jun 8
Jun 8
Jun 8

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service