Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good luck Slip,BTW how deep were those fish /The two small gills I got yesterday were near bottom in I 'm guessing between 10-20'

I was vertically jigging in about 9 feet of water along some lay downs
thanks John
just tagged a 20 inch small mouth bass... Whoop!

WOAH YEA!!!

20160819—so dealing with some pain today I decide to step it down a notch… less paddling, less long casting and see if I could tag a few fish. my expectations sank a little when I saw the amount of boat traffic out there… many jet skis.

I started vertically jigging the colums and picked up a couple nice specs with the LiL Minnow set-up.

I then fancasted the area and picked up a lunker SMB at 20” class on the 2” Power Minnow. Shortly after a LMB hit the little pink waxie in about 2 FOW while searching for the shallow B.Gill bite.

Could not locate the B.Gills

The boat traffic started picking up that’s when I started packing in.

BFOTD!! 20 in class SMB

20160819—BFOTD!! 20” CLASS SMB CAUGHT ON THE 2” POWER MINNOW

Nice LMB on the slip/float/pink waxie:

20160819—Nice LMB that crashed the panfish party

Best fishes of the bunch:

20160819—SHORT TRIP WITH 2 NICE PREDS ON PANFISH GEAR

20160821- ...----~~<")))))><(--------------------------

20160821—Today I fished the cold front day.. the most significant one of the season. A noticeable drop in air temps of 15-20°. The fish appaerently noticed it also. The fish I could find were tight to cover in a very neutral mood. I was able to coax a few strikes because of the micro-lite technique ive been employing. Tiny baits on super lines.

The winning combination of techniques were punching a drop shot hellgrammite thru a canopy of floating weed clipping next to wood or laydowns. A close second was a vertical jig of the lil minnow on 1/64 oz jig head.

A few of the quality b.gills got wrapped up in the branches but was able to finally get secure into the boat. Powerful stuff that 4# braid and 3# Nano!

What o struggle when the SMB hit… as soon as I set that hook the fish luckily took off to open water for a huge battle for just a 15.5” fish!

The weed control program on this end of the lake took control of the fishing conditions on this lake for the past week. Ordinarily this would have been a skunking but with the knowledge base ive acquired the past few seasons (especially from BBG.com) has really upped the game for me.

Nice SMB taking the micro-lite jigs…

Fishing the slop thru the canopies…

Some of Today's catch and release…

20160821—SHORT TRIP... FISH TIGHT TO COVER

20160822- ...----~~<")))))><(--------------------------

20160822—the pattern has been very close the past few days… many fish tight to cover and vertical jigging tight to it. Many of the crappie were caught long casting/micro jigs along weed lnes. A standout was a near mid 9’s B.Gill that tapped that micro jig.

A nice bonus Y.Perch was tagged thru a hole made thru the dense vegetation mat and vertically jigged. Sometimes it required pulling the fish thru the branches and dense vegetation… always worth the chance. Braid performed flawlessly at 4#. I lost one big SMB fishing thru a laydown covered by floating debris… I set the hook and the fish hit alongside my kayak with an explosion… it finall became hopless tangled in the branches and pulled free. EXCITING!!! My suggestion though if want to try this approach leave your mono at home!

Very nice lunker B.Gill

20160822--BFOTD!!! NICE B.GILL

Nice bonus Y.Perch

Selection of some of today’s catches

• 20160822--GOOD EARLY EVENING BITE

20160823- ...----~~<")))))><(--------------------------

20160823—once out on the lake I could not spot any fish activity on the sonar…so I continued working the heavy cover again with vertical jigging. Fewer fish than when the fish are active but avoided the skunking!

A nice bonus 12” class B.Crappie in the mix.

Vertical jigging the LIL Minnow outproduces everything else including ice jigs with GULP.

Bonus B.Crappie

20160823—BFOTD!!! 12.0” class B.Crappie

todays catch selection:

20160823—VERTICAL JIGGING WAS THE WAY TO GO

RSS

Latest Activity

Bruce Tomaselli commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

543426_4708697435465_12353731_n

"Very nice Rainbow, John."
9 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

"There's a Guitar instrumental called,'Trout and Daylilies' that's supposed to…"
22 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

cupsaw Maygill

"Gilly on the pinched crawler….."
22 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

"John showing off in the waders…..nice rainbow!"
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted a photo

cupsaw Maygill

Better Sized Male from the West Cove from shore
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted a photo
22 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Several Small Predators Yesterday ….5/12/2024

"I’ve learned to deal with it living here Bruce….but I was very surprised that the bite…"
yesterday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"You guys have been displaying great Shellcrackers all spring…..very addictive…"
Sunday
Sunday
Thumbnail

"Very nice cracker Troy……we did catch 139 total fish yesterday but not as many…"
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted photos
Sunday
Saturday
Saturday
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Despite a big drop in air temperatures….my friend and I got in Bagleys Swamp and mixed a bag of 139 fish on live crickets under a float….."
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Historic Roanoke River Lighthouse…….5/9/2024

"Thanks Troy and Bruce…….the great thing here is this little town is the second oldest…"
Saturday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service