Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone heard of a late spring fish die off.A lake I fish here in mid Michigan had dead Bluegills and a few Rockbass along the shore.I was told it was due to unclear water and no sunlight reaching the weeds to produce oxygen. I have seen winter fish kills but never in the spring.I counted about 150 dead fish in about 50 yards of shoreline.

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How big is this lake? Does sound like an oxygen problem. Does anyone manage the lake? This is very sad news, did it happen again this spring?
Thank you for reply. It is a shallow lake with a lot of weed cover.The deepest spot is about 7 foot and that area is small,maybe 15 ft. across.It did not happen this year,luckly.There is farming fields around one side.I thought it might have been runoff from that but I think the lack of oxygen was the problem.
Stained water can kill rooted vegetation, thus creating an oxygen sag. Stained water comes in two forms. Inorganics, like clay particulate from runoff--and organics, like single celled algae caused by nutrient rich watershed, can create light deficits. Either way, you have the potential to see rooted vegetation die during late spring periods.
My pond has no vegetation at all growing, just clay floating. Does that mean my pond is not fertile? Never clears much, but enough so the fish can see to eat, as they do. There is not much I can do about the clay if I'm not willing to move, lol. I tried lime, didn't seem to help. We put an gas aeration system at the pond early summer to prevent what happened to George's pond. After waiting and waiting for the fish to grow, I don't think I could stand that.
If you have suspended clay, it will inhibit plant growth, so it would make it harder to tell if your water is fertile. In Nebraska, the fertility is embedded in the soils. EVERYTHING is fertile!

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Victory on Veteran's Day 2019

Got out with a fellow veteran this morning and we caught a few nice fish.........Mainly black…
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

Lake Perris, CA Nov. 10, 2019

"Thats a Biggun' Bob.........very nice......."
4 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a status
"Happy veterans to all of our veterans."
5 hours ago
Bob Gaines posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

gregnovpic

"Got Lucky Jeff .For some reason (Perhaps too many people keeping them to eat ) they are scarcer…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

gregnovpic

"Beast mode Crappie! Very nice John........"
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's group BEST FISHING TIMES ACCORDING TO ALMANAC
"Very nice report and that's an excellent crappie in my book! Last weekend we went through an…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

Lake Perris, CA bluegill fly fishing Nov. 8, 2019

"Very nice Bob!....I'm jealous of your air temps..........."
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

The November Chill Hits Coastal Carolina..................11/9/2019

Wind chills in the low 20s greeted me at the ramp......crappie are moving to their transition…
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"This morning was the coldest of the season and water temps have fallen to 56 degrees.....Caught crappie, yellow perch and a bowfin..."
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Double Along The Way.......

"Thanks and appreciate it Bruce......I really enjoy logging my fishing through pictures........And…"
Saturday
Bob Gaines posted photos
Saturday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group BEST FISHING TIMES ACCORDING TO ALMANAC
"Go get 'em Jeffrey . Fished with Brother Greg this past Tuesday .Got only one Crappie but it…"
Saturday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Double Along The Way.......

"Cool. really enjoy the photos. You are blessed with a great fishing area. Good for you."
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's group BEST FISHING TIMES ACCORDING TO ALMANAC
"The Beaver Moon is a very predictable cycle on the Albemarle.......although deep water is sparse…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group BEST FISHING TIMES ACCORDING TO ALMANAC
Friday
Thumbnail

Nice Sunfish Variety.......11/2/2019

"It;s a good time when you have a chance to catch any of these species on any cast.......exciting!"
Nov 5
Thumbnail

Mixed Bag From Wednesday ......10/30/2019

"Thanks Dick.....looking forward to Veterans Day Weekend......."
Nov 5
Thumbnail

Mixed Bag From Wednesday ......10/30/2019

"I thought so too Dick......"
Nov 5

© 2019   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by