Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hey Guys and Gals...

I have been searching the net for likely spots to catch trophy gills in our country and came up with Escambia County Lake, also known as Leon Brooks Hines Lake, in southern Alabama. Recent catches in the past two years have produced cn bluegills to almost 2 1/2 pounds and a lake record red ear sunfish of 3 pounds and 13 ounces, caught this past spring.

This is a 185 acre lake with some facilities like boat ramp and concession/bait shop. It has Only daytime hours and they vary throughout the seasons. It is located near the Florida border in Conecuh National Forrest. I think the park is currently closed on Weds and Thurs. There appears to be a variety of local regulations on this water, so a call to the park manager (251) 809-0068 would be a wise move if anybody is interested.

If you google 'trophy bluegill photos' you will see some of those giant gills. This may well be a small public waterway that has all the components to yield world class gills in a public venue. Numerous 10 to 13 pound largemouths are caught there as well.

This one, I think, is still under the radar. Check it out!

Views: 2635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been there a few times last spring. I didn't do to well and returned to my usual haunts closer to home. The last time I looked the lake was only open on Fri-Sun. I think it's something to do with the lake manager getting bored from lack of early week customers. I will give it another attempt this spring and might even try some techniques I've been stealing from y'all! Wonder if you can tip a Swedish Pimpernell with a cricket? Hmm.

Just across the Florida line is another little known public lake I have heard of, Hurricane Lake. I was cross examining an old buddy of mine who is from around Escambia County Lake and he told me he thought Hurricane was better. I may check it out too!

Neither of these will be like that Rich Man's Mill Pond you got spoiled by Jim. Nobody force feeding these gills. No guides showing you where they are at 9:37 AM on Thursday's. No gates to keep us rednecks out. They do sell crickets at the bait shop though! That'll make everybody equal I guess. Come on down. Not now though, it was in the low 50's today. The lake is probably froze over.

Boogieman
I think any lake that is producing fish of this size is worth serious consideration for anglers in the region. I am sure there are more lakes around that are kicking out huge fish that we just don't know about. I am keeping my eye out for potential big bluegill and crappie water.

And, just so you know, we didn't fish with guides at Richmond Mill, we fished on our own. They hadn't given bluegill much effort at the lake and actually didn't know of a lot of panfishing concepts.

But if I absolutely have to get spoiled, I prefer to do it while fishing!
I know you don't need no guides Jim, but I do. Come on down April 13th or May 13th and I'll let you put me on 'em over at Escambia. I've seen those pics, thats why I went in the first place. New moons on those dates, I like new moons.

Boogieman
Ive read the info on Escambia county lake and asked a lot of people about it last year. Nobody really knew a whole lot. I think Its about a 1:45 min ride for me to get there. I was really wanting to hit it up in the spring. Sounds Like we may have us a good ole meetin spot this spring.
If you go this spring, be aware there are tons of stumps just under the surface in the upper half. Looks like they dammed it up, filled it with water and then cut the trees down at water level. Being a state lake it is trolling motor only but you will get up on them. Maybe that's why I didn't do so good last year, spent too much time rockin' the boat off of stumps! I was in the upper end looking for beds. Next spring I will head for the lower half. I can not find a bed in deep water just as good as I didn't find them in the upper end. I was stumped!
Hey Guys, Just read both of your posts about the big gills in Escambia. Sounds like a lot of Springtime fun. Question from me is being a bank fisherman and exposed to the state hospital lake, what's the best way to haul them out during these colder months? I just came back from there and caught 3 all hand sized. Don't tell me to wait for Spring, because I'll be tightlining in either the tub or toilet!! Until some of this rain moves out, that 3 acre lake is my best bet. Any thoughts? Nick.
GET MORE POLES!
Best I remember Nick you caught some shellcrackers there at the hospital back in October. I would think tightlining would be the ticket for them from the bank. I always (and don't tell the crickets this) did better with worms for them bottom huggers. Do like Mayo says and put several lines out. Then just sit back and watch your tips. I always get bored pretty quick if I ain't flippin a cricket on a bream buster to all the likely lookin' places. There's just something about that up close and personal fight you get in that way that turns me on. But tightlining does get you deeper for this time of year. It's supposed to get down in the 20's tonight. Ice fishin' in the deep south don't seem natural but knock yerself out! I ain't got a clue where to tell you to look for an ice auger, your on your own there.
Why in the world would you close a lake? Boogieman Full moon sounds great to me got it penciled you can show me your cricket magic. But full moon means topwater!!! Are there any of those big swimming lizard with big teeth down there??
New Moon Greg, New Moon!!!!!! Full Moons are bright and shiny, New Moons are dark and mysterious. I got to noticing I seemed to have a better fishing day on the darkside! And I do not have cricket magic. I simply have crickets. No magic needed, just find the gills and feed 'em.

Escambia County Lake is not five miles from the Florida line, you know that's where them gators are from but they're kinda shy of Alabama right now. Don't worry about 'em!

I think the lake is closed a lot purely because the lake manager wants the time off. Wonder where he goes fishing?
New moon, I was reading and thinking at the same time not a good combination. Sounds like a two week trip. I like full moon and new moon fishing, Then every day in between.
Haven't found an elephant skinned float tube, but have a lead on rhino one, I'm thinking rhino tough is the way to go.
Let me solve your search problem. NO WADING in County Fishing Lakes. I know it's a float tube but Leroy the manager ain't never heered of such. Tebeau the gator has though and that's why they have the no swim rule down here. I run around in a two seat Bass Baby and I get a little funny feelin' when I see 'em eyeing me. I can't say there's any there and I ain't going to bet on Alabama in the BCS National Championship either. But I for dang sure ain't going to bet against 'em. Bama or Tebeau the REAL gator either one! You could loose an arm and a leg like that.

Anybody that wants to spend a couple of weeks hunting the trophy ones that are supposed to be in a lot of these lakes here in S Alabama and NW Florida come on. There's Juniper, King and Holley lakes right in Defuniak Springs FL. There's that Hurricane Lake over west of Crestview and 20 or 30 natural spring fed cypress lakes north of Panama City in the Sand Hills area. All are public and have great potential. Then of course there's the subject lake of this discussion. I myself probably couldn't catch a trophy at that Rich Man's Mill Pond in SC. Y'all come down here and hunt 'em. I think I'll go over there to SC.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
18 hours ago
18 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service