Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What is your favorite rod and reel for Pumpkinseeds? I am looking to buy a new one and would like some advice. Also are there any spinners or crankbaits that can be used?

Views: 198

Replies to This Discussion

I think a 8 1/2 -9ft  4wt fly rod  medfast action with a floating line and a 5wt intermediate line would do the trick. You do not need a fancy reel with a fly rod.  Jim Ducy aka: Fishin' Jimmy

A zebco 33, 8-12 lb line , a pole that is limber and allows one to feel whats happenning.  Seriously , for those punkin seeds you need no big cash out lay 2 35-50 dollar rigs are more than enuff for me to "fill tha bucket." Now my monster cats are another story.

Baits...I have had the best luck with the old classic beetlespin in the south yellow/blackstripe or white with red dot, other wise shrimp on some days and worms on others.

Thank you for the advice guys. I will be getting a new rod and reel before spring. I will get some small beetle spins. I would really like to try fly fishing, I just don't know how.

Duane noprobllem on the flyfishing. If you got the will I got plenty of time. April, May andJune are great months to get started. I have plenty of rods  and equipment to help you get started.  Jim Ducy PS anyone else in southern Wisconsin or Northern Il who is intrested inflyfishing-flytying or jigmaking feel free to contact me.

I would love to have you teach me to fly fish with you. I would like to learn fly tying also. Please let me know if you would be interested in teaching me to fly tye this winter. It would be a great hobby and then I would have flies for spring. Please private message me. Thank you, Duane

Pflueger President Reel with 2# test fixed to a Shimano Sensilite 6' rod

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"The Full Hunter’s Moon is Wednesday, coupled with several nights in the 40s this week, excited about the rest of October on the Albemarle…."
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe’s Personal Best Yellow Perch…..10/16/2021

"Thanks Bruce…..we start catching more yellow perch when the water gets cold, my son in law…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

More From The Crappie Morning…..10/21/2021

"Thanks Bruce….you know I will…….I eat a few more crappie meals in the Fall…"
yesterday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe’s Personal Best Yellow Perch…..10/16/2021

"Wow, beautiful perch. You rarely catch 'em like that."
yesterday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Saturday
Saturday
Saturday
"Joe and I shoved off at daylight and had a pretty good trip ahead of a strong cold front tonight….some surface temps below 70 today"
Saturday
"Picked up bait, boat hooked up…..up against a cold front tomorrow with my son in law Joe….hopefully we can find a few fish before the rain.."
Friday
Thumbnail

My Wife’s Dinner Tonight….Buffaloed Crappie….10/12/2021

"Enjoy Mikey-D…..real tasty recipe, crappie are so good, just kicks it up a…"
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney replied to Frank M's discussion Never saw a fish with this deformity!
"Always cool to see the survivors…..I agree with Bruce….could have been a bird of prey…"
Thursday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

My Wife’s Dinner Tonight….Buffaloed Crappie….10/12/2021

"Dang Jeff that looks pretty good never tried that but seeing this think I'm going to try it…"
Thursday
Bruce Tomaselli replied to Frank M's discussion Never saw a fish with this deformity!
"I bet  a bird, heron, kingfisher, etc. took a swipe at it."
Thursday
Oct 12
"All fish cleaned…waiting out the Invest right offshore, gusting over 30 this morning, creeks down over two feet in the last 12 hours.."
Oct 10
Oct 9
Oct 8
Oct 8

© 2021   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service