Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As a rule, I don't target Pickerel. However when I started tying a fly I call  the MM Minnow (see step X step under" Bluegill Fly Tying" Group) I started  catching a lot more of them (called "jackfish" down here). The MM minnow will catch all kinds of fish and seems to be a natural for the Jackfish. In a couple of the ponds/creeks I fish I finally started using a braided leader to keep the beast from cutting my tippet. . On a good day I may catch 10 or 12 Jackfish while fishing for Gills and Bass. Jackfish are so much fun to catch on a flyrod, I look forward to catching them as much as I do anything else. It seems almost any creek fed pond down here has them. ............Don in SC

Views: 3209

Replies to This Discussion

Great post Donald!

Similarly,I have caught several  Pickerel on 32nd oz. handtied Bucktail jigs .Would be a first for me to get one on a flyrod .I'm thinking Bucktail streamers! Did you have to strip the line fast .Like White Perch ,Pickerel seem to get real excited when you move the bait quickly! in my time .Some good sized ones too.

what size hook  is that Donald? Nice looking tie .I have never caught a pickerel on a fly but would love to!

That fly was tied on a size 10  2X hook. I strip this fly relatively slow, let it sink just a little between pulls. I am sure I would catch more Jackfish if I stripped it faster but I wasn't fishing for Jackfish........I do love to catch them. For Jackfish tie the MM minnow in bright colors, and add extra flash. (that seems to get their motor going) One pond that I fish in Lexington, SC seems to have more Jackfish than anything else...........Good luck .........Don in SC

you're onto something, thanks donald

Greg threw his clouser minnow a few times yesterday but he was using spinning gear so it didn't work out . We got 2 each up to 18.5 "-1.7#  (Greg's Fish) , on spoons and spinners 2.5" and smaller .  Nice to revisit your post here Don!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
23 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
23 hours ago
23 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service