Do you love big bluegill?
hey guys welcome to my latest group. i would like everyone to tell their 5 favorite artificial lures they use for big bluegill or crappie. (i already know musky mod's.....spoons!!!) Here are mine
1.gulp alive 1 inch minnow-- a cheaper but less effective substitute is the Fin-S-shad in 1 inch
2. small white beetle spin grub with red dot (no spinner)
3.Jim gronaws hair jigs (thanks jim they are great!!!)
4.my homemade fake crickets
5. bluefox spoons
i like to use almost all gulp products like maggots and worms and nibblets too.
Ok, here's my list. I keep these in a small plano box that can fit into my pants pocket for a quick scouting trip with the UL rod, or slip into a PFD pocket when I really want to travel light.
1) Rebel minnow bait. I can't think of the model number. I know it's 1 1/4" long. With a #14 snap swivel tied onto the mainline, then clipped to the split ring, this bait has a slightly negative buoyancy, so it's a great little bait to run 3 - 4' deep.
2) Rebel 7700 series Tiny Wee R crawfish crankbait. I can't think of the number of the color scheme, but it's a brownish color that fades to orange-white on the belly.
3) Mepps Aglia spinners, size 0. I have two right now, both have silver blades, one w/ a chartreuse dressed hook, the other with a white hook. I prefer silver/white for moderately clear water, but I went with the chartreuse because I know Green sunnies have an affinity for that color. I know that's two lures, but honestly, other than the color difference, what else is different?
4) I have a beetle-spin type of spinner frame, with a jighead (not sure of the weight), and some 1" curly-tail grubs, in white and chartreuse.
5) Don't have a fifth type of lure in the box, although I might here soon.
Go for it!
Well I guess I'm the newest member of this interesting group. With that being said, I gotta say that right now, my 4 favorite lures for catching big Bluegills (and Redears) are:
1. Tiny 1/32 to 1/100 oz. hand-tyed maribou jigs in black, olive, grey and white colors.
2. Dardevle "Skeeter" spoon in the hot mackerel color. (Fantastic during the spawn!)
3. Rapala Countdown Minnow size 01 in Green Muddler and silver colors. (Everyone should have
one of these killer little baits-they work great on larger panfish that eat minnows or shad.)
4. Kastmaster spoon in 1/12 oz. nickel/blue and red snap.