Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Tomorrow, for the first time ever, I am participating in a Bass Tournament.

It's a "just for fun" tourney amongst some friends on my local fishing forum.  There is a Big-Bass pot, but it won't be to terribly big.  It's at a lake I've never been to.  This lake is fairly small, and the water is known for being the color and clarity of chocolate milk.  This is going to be interesting.  Not to mention the fact that I rarely actually target LMBs, although I do catch them fairly frequently.

What's really interesting, is that this is shaping up to be more of a kayaker vs. powerboat tourney.  And yes, I'll be in my kayak!

Views: 463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably about 50 miles south, Greg.  Bell Cow.  The map book I have for the state doesn't even SHOW this lake.  I had to look it up online last night, then I got all excited when I started seeing all the standing timber in the satellite images.

Really great report, Allen.
Fine job.

What kayak are you in?

David, I have a 2007 Perception Search 13.

It's proving to be well suited for lake fishing.  Fairly narrow for it's size; I can maintain 5.5 or 5.6 mph for about 150 yards in a sprint, and cruise at 3.5 mph for several miles.  I was taking some interesting chop today; following seas (I think that's what you call it when the waves are overtaking you from behind?) mixed with a large boat wake coming almost from my beam.  Had to turn into that a bit, taking the boat wake from the right front quarter, and the wind-driven waves from my right rear quarter.  A very interesting rocking motion, to say the least.

I just reconfigured my anchor trolley.  Now my connection point goes all the way from bow to stern.  I haven't done a backwards drift, bow to the wind, like I normally do when drifting for cats, but I did do several drifts dragging my drift sock from the stern.  Hardly any wind-cocking issues.

Here's a pic just after I re-did the anchor trolley:

The only thing missing is my crate, which normally sits in the tankwell.  That is a serious-looking piece of hardware.  I'll have to get a pic with the crate in the tankwell tomorrow.

And here's my boat with the crate in it.  I added some rod-holders made out of PVC, and I have a mount for 360 white light.

Good open water boat. I bet it tracks nicely.
I'm selling my little Hobie Mirage this week, to get a float tube. mine is too small, only 10 feet, and cramped. It is also not suited to bigger water... which my home lake has plenty of, so I keep to waters that could as readily be fished from a tube.
The tube is also easier to get in and out the truck. I'm just not into wrestling kayaks....

Congrats Allen on the big fish pot. The main thing is you caught something and it didn't hurt being big fish great job.

Looks like a grand time in the water, although the winning position wasn't in your favor. As long as you had fun, that what counts. Of course, 1st placed would have been nice.

way to go allen!!  at least you did place first with the biggest!!  and showed the power boat guys-- don't mess with me!!  hahha great story buddy!!

Very nice Allen! WTG!

Good job, with the big fish pot.  I figured the kayaks would have a good showing.  Sounds like you had fun and that is what is important!!!

Dilly

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service