Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Well, after coming here, and getting myself all worked up over big Sunny's, I finally found a few today :-)

Ended up catching 11 Red Ears for probably 15 lbs total. The biggest two were a 13 inch, 1.70 lb'er, and a 13 3/4 inch, 1.90 lb'er :-) And geeez ! I had almost forgotten how hard these things fight ! I mean, sure, I was using my micro-light.... but I wasn't purposely babying them either. I fought them the same way I'd fight a good bass, or catfish, on the same gear, and still, they took a little bit to bring into the boat. I swear that 1.90 ripped 30ft of drag :-)

Anyway, here's some pics....
I think this was a 12 1/2", 1.5 lb'er.

13", 1.7 lb'er

13 3/4", 1.90 lb'er

Note the kitty in the livewell :-) Caught 4 of those too, to 7 lbs. Just kept that one around for company, but ended up letting it go anyway. Didn't feel like cleaning fish tonight.

Oh, this was a 4.9 lb Smallmouth from last week. Same lake.

And this was my underwater "money shot" from today :-) The fish in the front is a 5+ Largemouth which I had already hooked on a crawler, and was fighting (10 lb fluorocarbon leader... can't see it at all) but I really like how this fishes buddy is looking at it like, "What the heck are you freaking out about" ? :-) Caught 3 Largemouth's today too. This was the biggest one.

Anyway, fun trip :-) Different lake tomorrow. Not so great a chance for big Sunnies.... but Clear Lk. Weds ! Hopefully I'll smoke the "true" Bluegills and hybrids there.

Peace,
Fish

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

great fish what did you catch them on?
Hey Josh, I caught them (and the bass, and the catfish I mentioned) all on the best all around live bait on the planet :-) .....the lowly worm. Mini-crawlers to be specific.

Being a multi-species kind of guy, the thing I love about worms is, their is hardly a fish alive that "won't" eat one :-)

Peace,
Fish
Hey Chris, GREAT fish!! And Happy Father's Day -you're continuing to be the "big Daddy" of worm fishing!!! You really should do a few long articles on worm rigging for panfish, like those wonderful ones (I still have my copies!!) on bass & catfish on your old big bass site! I've been playing around with my own "shaved rabbit strip" worms which,tho artificial, have similar texture, size, and action as the real thing. Fish these on a mini spoon and results are very good thus far! Keep those inspiring photos coming!! JOHN
Hey Chris...you are absolutely right about worms...I am convinced that there are no other baits out there that, day in and day out, can stack up with earthworms and nightcrawlers. I have gotten back into wormin in a serious way this year and it has paid off big time.

Nope, you don't have to have every lure made to catch a bunch, and some big, fish. Jim

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
13 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
14 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday
tracy willis posted photos