Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter SC. The fishing here is great once you find out where the buggers are hiding.

I like to see what folks are using and what their rigging ideas are.

This is what gets to to the fish. A Vapor 10. I have a console that clips to the cockpit combing. It is made of PVC pipe with a board to mount the fish finder..pliers..rod holder..and an adjustable mount for my phone so I can shoot video or use mavrick for navigation. The mount is made from a paint roller so it makes a great place to stage my lures.

I have an LED light mast on the back. Made that from pipe and led strips from amazon.

The anchor trolley needs some work. I will move the read pulley forward a few inches to help it work more smoothly.

My stake out pole is an aluminum broom handle that is partly filled with sand to make sure it hits bottom point down. The point is a a paint roller handle. The roller part was cut off and the stud that was left sticking out was sharpened. It works great.

I can go out and buy ready made equipment but I like the challenge of using other items. Its cheap n saves the money for more fishin trips.

What do yall roll around in?

Views: 1295

Replies to This Discussion

Good for you. It's all about balance.

my kayak

Attachments:

Nice!

Thanks Allen I also have a oldtown preditor 140, and my wife has a wilderness pungo

I have a yak and a half; soon to be 2 yaks.

I currently paddle a Sun Dolphin Aruba 10. Yep, one of those $200 K-Mart boats (and I used an online coupon code and paid even less). Weighs 29# so I can easily carry it to launch pretty much anywhere boats are allowed. I usually carry it in the back of the truck; takes under a minute to load it and hit the road. Added an inset rod holder behind the seat and I strap down a rod holder up front. Mostly paddle rivers and lakes in the NC Piedmont and in shore down at the coast.

The "half" is one that I am building. A Bateau Wave 13. I have the bottom hull assembled and glassed, drilled holes in the bottom and epoxied in fiberglass tubes for the scuppers instead of the side scuppers show with the study plans. I am building up the seat with styrofoam and sculpting it to shape, then I will cut the top deck, attach it and glass the entire top (decks, tankwell and seat) in one shot. I have built a "rod pod" that is an interior channel I will access through a hatch between my knees and the channel goes under my seat to the stern, so I can slip a couple or rods inside and button it up. That feature is primarily for paddling through the breakers to go trolling for mackerel and blues. Once it is built, I will probably start using it for most of my lake fishing as well as inshore and off the beach. I will likely always use a plastic boat in the rivers. There is no major whitewater around me, but the rivers have a few shoals and even flat water sections often have submerged boulders to hit. I should finish it by late spring.

I have a Native Slayer 14.5 that had been a demo model. It was slightly scratched in a few places, but sound. I usually fish on Lake Lanier for spotted bass and stripers. No Stripers yet, but have done ok on the spots. I have had 3 stripers on, but the hook pulled out twice, and leader broke the other time. I'll get 'em, sooner or later.
The Slayer is a fine boat, fast enough, and very stable. I hope to wear them out this year, if it ever warms up.
Attachments:

we have 3 kayaks, a Jackson big rig ,a oldtown preditor, and a  wilderness pungo

Attachments:

Hey John - please tell us how you have that nice yak fitted out?

I haven't been on here in a long time but I saw this thread and really liked it. I really liked the pics of Brian Jones' innovative fix ups/rigging ideas. Great creativity and it looks good, not chinzy.

Brian- nice job if you're still on here. I also am an Air Force retiree.

I have three yaks and few float tubes. My yaks are a 10ft sit inside Pelican I have had for several years. Light, not a fishing model, but it did the job just fine. Just too small, and I am too old to enjoy it all day all the time.

Last year I was blessed to have some extra money and picked up two Vibe Sea Ghosts, a 13 footer and an 11 footer. I weigh over 250lbs and thought I was going to use the 13 footer mostly with my 19 year old son using the 11 footer. However, it turned out the opposite most of the time. The 11 footer was plenty for me and he like the "speed" of the 13 footer (arguably not a noticeable difference but he seemed to think different.)

Thanks all

Jay

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Thanks John."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"I hope they work. I do have a couple of other colors which I'll post later. Thanks Jeffrey."
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

The Importance of Steady Water Levels During the Spawn….3/18/2024

This caught my eye at lunch this morning, one of my local rivers has remained at a steady level for…
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Very creative mind coupled with excellent craftsmanship…..these are fish catchers Dick!"
7 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Excellent work, Dick!"
9 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Goldfish jigs.

My new tie. Made out of a 1/16oz jig with a #4 hook.
12 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe Got a Birthday Present at 8:55……3/17/2024

"Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour has a tournament on the Albemarle the first week of June…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"These are Joe’s two biggest largemouth bass and I was the only person there for…"
yesterday
yesterday
Thumbnail

Son-In-Law's Personal Best Largemouth......6.5 Pounds.......5/12/2020

"This was Joe’s previous personal best largemouth…..although it may appear larger it…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Very shallow John….right where we were catching good crappie numbers…this is only…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

"He was tickled…..he caught her at 9:00 this morning on an undercut…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Kept a Dozen Fryers…..3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip….this is perfect….mostly smaller males to scale and filet…..I can…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Joe’s First Bite This Morning……3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip…..this brackish water has such a great food supply so all of these fish are very…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"Thanks Slip…….it was one of those spring trips you hope for……this was…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"sounds like a great birthday!"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service