Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter SC. The fishing here is great once you find out where the buggers are hiding.

I like to see what folks are using and what their rigging ideas are.

This is what gets to to the fish. A Vapor 10. I have a console that clips to the cockpit combing. It is made of PVC pipe with a board to mount the fish finder..pliers..rod holder..and an adjustable mount for my phone so I can shoot video or use mavrick for navigation. The mount is made from a paint roller so it makes a great place to stage my lures.

I have an LED light mast on the back. Made that from pipe and led strips from amazon.

The anchor trolley needs some work. I will move the read pulley forward a few inches to help it work more smoothly.

My stake out pole is an aluminum broom handle that is partly filled with sand to make sure it hits bottom point down. The point is a a paint roller handle. The roller part was cut off and the stud that was left sticking out was sharpened. It works great.

I can go out and buy ready made equipment but I like the challenge of using other items. Its cheap n saves the money for more fishin trips.

What do yall roll around in?

Views: 1295

Replies to This Discussion

Deep is still good this time of year. At least once the sun gets high.

Channel drop offs, rock piles, edges of sunken structure - and sort of anomaly

Im not real sure where to go in there. I'm thinking Jones flat or work my way along one of the creeks. There's so much structure there. My best guess is look for structure in or close to any drop offs or current. I was told I could get luckey on the grass beds. If can catch some frogs than Ill try to go bass too.
It it's me, I like to have a little current.
Let's look at this a little. I'll add my pitiful $.02 worth.
- You've got structure with deep water nearby.
- You've got a (hopefully) moderate current.
- You've got grass beds.
I'd fish the tops of the grass beds, first, until the sun got on the water. Hit any emergent cover that is also near, or among, the beds. Fish feed shallow, early.
If you're not a keen fly fisher, try some small beetle spins tipped with worm or one if the Gulp! products. Or slip float a bait just above the weed tops. The weed is usually right near the surface, so add just enough weight to balance your float. I add nothing but the hook and let the bait drop into pockets and eddy hollows on the down current side of weeds.
Keep the bait just above their heads, right at the top of the growth.
Once the sun gets high, the fish usually vacate for deeper water. So go for the deep side of structure. Follow Ol' Marv Taylors advice and go deep FIRST. Some guys start at the surface and work down. I say reverse that.
Again, a beetle or belly spinner, tipped with worm is a fair choice. Ditto a tipped micro spoon.
If it's not a heavy current, use a mini Fireball Rig: a 1/4 oz. slip sinker set up with a bit of dark foam about 8-12" above the hook. The foam keeps the bait up off the bottom, where it's likely to attract attention and not snag so much. In the stained waters of the Low Country, a little white, pink or fluoro yarn tied to waggle at the top of the hook helps emit a visual cue for the fish in the dim light at depth.
Or just drift a slip float set at a depth to keep the bait within 12-18" of the bottom and allow the current to help work the pockets and cover water.
That sounds like some good advice. Ill give it a go for sure.I did see a lot of water hyacinth out there. They may be hidin under that stuff so i will drop some rigs in the holes n see what happens there. Its a slow current almost a lake in most parts I have seen so far.
Excellent. Let me know if my thinking was at all in line with the fish!
Will do. Now go get your yak wet as soon as you can. LOL
As it happens, we have a painting project finishing up today. Gotta get it done, as it was in the plan before the yakanoe was here.

Still trying to work out a transport plan, too. Transport in a mini truck - on a budget - is a major issue. I didn't really consider that part if it very well. I was blinded by the glory of the Mad River 14 at a good price, and I had the money in hand. Love at first sight, you might say.

But, I have to work out a way of loading that is:
Secure - BIG overhang
Robust - has to hold up
Simple - 3 point or less
Quick - 5 minute load in

Just manhandling it into the back and hoping for the best isn't going to cut it. I've tried that and threw my back out. And I know me....
I'll lose interest if I can't make it quick and simple. If I'm not rigged and shoving off within 10 minutes of arrival, it's taking too long.

On the plus side, I've secured a large supply of 2" steel tubing with which to make a bed extension/support yoke. I'll start laying that out today and tomorrow.

I appreciate your support, Brian. Please keep it coming!
Sounds like you have some welding to do. Thanks David. If you can find some kind of roller id make a kind of ladder rack/saw horse that i can nose the bow onto and push it onto the rack than use a cpl tie down straps.

Today took a nose dive for me. My wife Shelia hurt her back moving the recliner and the pain as bad enough to throw her into an anxiety attack. I walked in n thought she was having a stroke. She couldn't talk and was havin trouble breathing. I called 911 n spent the day in the ER. Im just happy shes ok. The fish will be there next week.
I'm glad she is okay, but she's gotta be down for at least a while.
As we say in the South, "Bless her heart!" Give her my regards, will you?
The support yoke is installed, although it isn't finalized yet. Still a bit more to complete.
I'll post a pic of it, though, and you can get the idea.
Thanks. She said thanks too. Sounds like its commin right along. Its about the worst feeling I have had in a long time. I was widowed In 09 and all i could think about was I was going to watch it happen again and not be able to help. Only being able to watch and hold her hand left me feeling beyond helpless....pretty much useless. I know that there wasn't much else to do other than pray but that feeling is still there.
Man, I'm sorry for you. When my dad died a few weeks ago, I had the same thoughts.
My mom died in 2004, and we were there until the end. I, too, felt helpless.
With my dad's passing that all came back, as we were with him as well. Powerless sucks.
Again, I'm glad shes okay.
I put the pics of the support yoke up for you to see.
I sorry to hear about losing your parents. That's a hard hit. It did give me a wake up call...to think about where our priorities are at. For a while now we have been putting her daughter and grand kids ahead of us. We need to take care of us. Thats been a source of frustration lately it has atleast brought us to talk about it.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Thanks John."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"I hope they work. I do have a couple of other colors which I'll post later. Thanks Jeffrey."
3 hours ago
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

The Importance of Steady Water Levels During the Spawn….3/18/2024

This caught my eye at lunch this morning, one of my local rivers has remained at a steady level for…
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Very creative mind coupled with excellent craftsmanship…..these are fish catchers Dick!"
6 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Excellent work, Dick!"
8 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Goldfish jigs.

My new tie. Made out of a 1/16oz jig with a #4 hook.
11 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe Got a Birthday Present at 8:55……3/17/2024

"Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour has a tournament on the Albemarle the first week of June…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"These are Joe’s two biggest largemouth bass and I was the only person there for…"
yesterday
yesterday
Thumbnail

Son-In-Law's Personal Best Largemouth......6.5 Pounds.......5/12/2020

"This was Joe’s previous personal best largemouth…..although it may appear larger it…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Very shallow John….right where we were catching good crappie numbers…this is only…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

"He was tickled…..he caught her at 9:00 this morning on an undercut…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Kept a Dozen Fryers…..3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip….this is perfect….mostly smaller males to scale and filet…..I can…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Joe’s First Bite This Morning……3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip…..this brackish water has such a great food supply so all of these fish are very…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"Thanks Slip…….it was one of those spring trips you hope for……this was…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"sounds like a great birthday!"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service