Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What is the best Bluegill lake in the U.S.??????????????????

I would like to see some comments on what members think are some of the best lakes for BIG blugill lakes. By big I mean consistantly one pounders and the possibilty of two over three. I want to plan a trip anywhere in the U.S for a couple weeks of monster bluegills or red ear. Is santee cooper on the list? Any info would be highly appreciated.

Views: 15419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mined Land Lakes of Kansas, Over 200 strip mined lakes. Still searching and headed there today!!!!!!!!! So many lakes so littletime!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Private lake .... Richmond Mill
and Private farm ponds!

Public lakes ..... Pelican Lake in Neb., few deep clear lakes near San Diego, few natural lakes in Michigan,Deep Creek Lake in Maryland, few lakes away from towns in Florida, Al, and Ga. Less fishing pressure with good number of bass, weeds, lot of shallow and openwater! Lot more out there that you can catch bluegills from 3/4 to 1 1/4 lbs. Fish deeper, live bait and light line! Release for future trophy Bluegills! Big 'gills can be gone quickly and we must release good size panfish!
True story and but sad!

Nelson Lake near Hayward in northern Wisconsin is one of the top big bluegills over 2 lbs in old days! Large lake with lot of shallow, plenty of covers and good number of gamefish as Pike, walleye and perch! People catch and keep bluegills from 1 1/2 to little over 2 lbs. Heavy fishing pressure and now big bluegills there is over!
Beaver Dam Lake in Illinois near Springfield is small lake .... about 58 acres and up to 10 feet deep. Lot of weeds and good number of bass. Food as zooplanktons, bugs , etc is every where. Many bluegills over 1 lb in 1970's and 1980's and now 9 inch is good size. This lake is heavy fishing pressure, have shad popuation and bluegill over 10 inch is rare!
We and you are big bluegills fan that we can let bluegills over 1 lb back to water and someday we might be lucky to get a bluegill over 2 lbs for the wall!
Are the Kansas mines public? Also does anyone know where to catch some each of the following in Oklahoma over a pound:

Shellcracker
Native BG
Coppernose BG
Green Sunfish
Hybrids BG

Do each of these prefer different types of water and or structures?

Thanks

Zach, Bristow's city lake has Shellcrackers and Green Sunnies to 1 1/2 lbs.  You DON'T need a city permit, which is a bonus.  Take plenty of worms or crickets.

I had my kids out there this past Saturday.  The kids were playing with the smaller sunnies that were on beds right on the shoreline.  I was fishing a ways out, in about 5 FOW, and tagging bigger Bluegills and even a channel cat.  There are two rip-rapped jetties that extend out into the lake; one has a platform on it.  Fish these, and use a slip-cork to get down to bottom about 6' away from the jetty.  That's where the big ones like to hang.

Zack, Here's the sight to look at map of mined land lakes. it's on page 2
http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Other-Services/Publications/Maps-S...(offset)/20
They are public fishing and hunting grounds about 90 min from Bartlesville Okla
gators wont bother you if ur in a boat fishing im from louisiana and in the swamp there are some monster bluegill and big warmouth or goggle eye best bait is crickets and plastic tubes under a pegged cork u will kill em
Lake Havasu ! (:
santee cooper lakes sc
Let me think...yep .....Lake Guntersville Alabama has to be one of the best in the south , it's known for Big stringers of bass but the bluegill and shellcrackers fishing is number one in the state..50 fish limit

Hands down Lake Havasu consistently has the biggest I have seen anywhere

Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee !

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service