Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

An interesting question was posed by one of the many great BBG visitors-

How do you measure success in YOUR fishing?

How many fish? What type of day, outing? (( be realistic )) don't post outrageous numbers here no need.  We are not the braggey type and this isn't the point of this.

This post is all about reality, good and bad.  This is such a difficult question - think of your fishing outings last year and help us all out - answer realistically - I would love to see what success is group-wide - not interested in inflated numbers. To help you out - you can give two different types of success or even find success in adversity - tougher fishing...

Views: 1736

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OUTSTANDING JEFFERY!

TOOTY

Fun and any time I can make it back home without sinking the boat it is a success.

YUP YOU ARE DEAD ON, simple answer to the question.
 TOOTY

For me anytime I am able to go fishing,The trip is a success. If I catch any fish they are an added

bouns. If I am able to take one or more of my kids with me, Then the fishing trip has gotten even better.

To me it is not the amount of fish I bring home.

It is all about the time I am able to spend out doors,Doing something I enjoy.

This year will be a first for me, as I am going to try and fish with only homemade bait, jigs & lures.

Can't wait to see how this is going to play out.

Good luck on that Chris

HEY CHRIS, hang in there because to me there is no satisfaction greater when it come to fishing than useing something you made to catch fish. NNNNNNNNNever give up on your idea, it may take some tweeking , but stay with your gut feeling , it's usually right.

TOOTY

On my home lake I like it best to catch at least one of each species in the lake (not considering baitfish) each time out .These would normally include LMBass, Bluegill,Pumpkinseed, Crappie,White Perch ,Yellow Perch . Sometimes Trout after a spring stocking .Bullheads I normally dont include as I fish for them only at dark and target them then. A score of 7 is for each fish mentioned besides BHeads. If I have a partner or two with me in the boat I try to help them get on  at least 1 of each species by boat control and going to past productive spots and tecniques for the fish desired.With three people the highest score would be 21.(23 if you include hybrid PSXBG) I was once very happy to have a score of 15 with three in the boat.

I agree with many of the other posters...

Fun... Cold hands around a hot cup of coffee... Watching a sunrise... Smiles from my boy... watching the rod bend... feeling the pump of a nice gill at the end of the line... and realizing why they call it fishing and not catching...

I guess I'm different from a lot of folks. Before I can decide if a trip was successful I need to weigh the results against the type of fishing I was doing - fun, or serious. If I'm fishing with my family, or another angler, it can be fun or serious, or a combination of both. However, if I'm fishing alone, then it's always serious. That is when my standards are at their highest levels. I expect to come away from a solo trip with a satisfactory number of the targeted species having been caught, OR a better understanding of why this did not occur... either one is acceptable.  If I'm not catching, then I had better be learning from it, otherwise I'm not satisfied. 

In the Spring, when the Bluegill are plentiful and easily caught, then that's fun fishing to me. I'll take the boys and help them catch a mess, and not worry about my tally, or learning something new. I can enjoy them enjoying themselves. That's a successful outing also.

But when it's just me, then the game face goes on. Many times this winter I headed out in miserable, windy, snowy weather, with half the water's surface covered in ice, and spent hours casting about, trying different techniques, different locations, trying to get a handle on wintertime Bluegills. Because this is an area where I feel I need improvement. And I caught some fish, while most people were indoors sitting by the fire. I consider this winter's experiences a success by virtue of having learned  some things, and catching supper a few times to boot.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy my solo trips. I don't mean to imply that I had to make myself get out, or that I consider it my "job" to go fishing in rough conditions, because I don't. Only that overcoming the challenges has it's own rewards and satisfactions.

a thoughtful response that rings true for me as well.

I think i set the war way too low - as in don't get sun stroke. 

: )

"bar"

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
22 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
22 hours ago
22 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service