Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I'm a big fan of bringing some gills home for dinner, and judging by some of the photos and discussions I've seen on this site, it seems many of you are as well. Nothing beats a nice fillet right out of the fryer, and that brings me to my question. What do you all use for breading/seasoning? Personally, I am a big fan of Andy's fish breading, but I am curious to know everyone else uses. Bread crumbs, cornmeal, Old Bay, etc?

Views: 4861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use zatarains fish mix. See what you did Dave now im getting hungry. lol
Haha. Makes me hungry, too. Blame Jim Gronaw - his picture is what got this started.
I like Andys also along with Cornmeal,Shorelunch,and anything else that looks good.
Drakes batter. I use it as a dry mix on the fillets.
Beer Batter and McIlennys Tabasco sauce,or Beer Batter,Pepperman organic pepper blend and Maries Blue Cheese dressing as a dip.

Gotta try a Cornmeal again.
Ok here is what I use: 1 cup flour, 1 cup cracker meal, I cup bread crumbs, Tbl spoon of Garlic powder,tbl spoon onion powder, tbl spoon lemon pepper, Bowl of flour by itself. 2 eggs with a splash of milk. Mix cup of flour,crackermeal, and breadcrumbs with the garlic, onion powder and lemon pepper. Whisk the eggs and milk in a big bowl. Now I like a light coat of breading on my fish. so this is how I do it. Coat the fish in the egg/milk mixture, then coat them in flour mixture, shake off the excess and fry them at medium high in a skillet or deepfryer at 375*. cook till lightly browned. If you want a heavier coating, dip in egg mix first then in bowl of flour, back in egg wash, then in the flour mixture. My wife and kids love it when I cook panfish! Enjoy!!
Forgot to say I use a 1gal plastic bag to put the coat mix in. Then place the fish in the bag a shake till they are all coated with the breading!
GoldenDip makes a great light coating for gills. I also pre-dip in aan egg & milk mixture = yum yum
seasons filets with tony chacheries , mix with egg wash, roll in cornmeal, fry in peanut oil , or try a tempura batter , it's extra good also.
Salt and pepper, dust liberally with cornmeal or cornmeal mix, and drop them into some really hot oil. I've never seen any reason to vary from this time-tested recipe.;-)
Fryin Magic!! Can't be beat, and cheap too!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
14 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service