Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

well I just want to know that because Ive only been fly fishing for bluegill for about a year now and Ive still haven't learned what it takes to fly fish for bluegill but I know that one of the things is having the right and appropriate flies for the type of water you fish.

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tobias, If You ask 100 different flyfishermen that question you get that many answers. Do you tie or buy your flies? Zugbugs, prince nymphs in size 8 or 10 are good at times. On my page I have a few of my favorites, easy to tie, and at some time or another have each produced some large and nice stringers of B.G.. There are a lot of flies scatterd around this site, some good tiers and info on flies. Keep searching til you find the flies that work for you and some you have confidence in. Some times small bugs and streamers, sometimes flies with movement like poppers with legs, or nymphs with legs. Fish as often as you can.
Keep Casting
I
well thanks and yes I tie allot of my flies
Wooly boogers and wooly worms in a 6 or 8 usually do the trick for me. Like Greg said, I also enjoy using poppers if they'll take them b/c I like to fish on the surface. I've also had good luck with foam ants as well. Hope this helps, and welcome to the site; nice to see another guy from Georgia.
thanks and yea it is nice to see another guy from georgia
Here in Nebraska, the water is very cloudy most of the time and the visiblilty is usually 1-3 feet. The darker the water, the darker wooly bugger I use. I prefer a black wolly with flash, usually size 8 hook. Catches the heck out of b.g, lmb, crappie...even bullhead.
How about it Brother Tobias, What is you favorite and best fly for pond fishin?
it is crappie eye fly it works excellent on cover such as logs and submerged bushes
Never heard of the crappie eye fly, What is? where is? Recipe and or pic?
you have to go to www.flyanglersonline.com to see the fly in the fly of the week pic
I found a "Crappie Candy", but no "Crappie Eye Fly". Which quarter of what year?

I've been having really good success with small (#12 or #10) poppers (white, chartreuse, black), Royal Wulff (#12), Coachman Streamers (anywhere from #14 to #8), Adams (#12, #14), Black Gnat (#16), red or black ants (#18 to #12), Griffith's Gnat (#18 to #14). There may be others, but can't remember at the moment. :-)
try in the fly of the week nd it really called a eye fly in the previous flies of the week
Thanks, Tobias! Found it! Interesting look to it. Only one eye, huh? Weird, but I bet it's effective. Probably resembles a wounded baitfish. I just may tie up a couple to test.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service