Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I tore 'em up today. Started with a hundred crickets and when I found their hidey hole I put another pole out. Caught two at once several times. Started gettin' harder to get hold of a cricket from the cricket cage, they was gettin' low. Then I remembered I HAD GULP!!! Fake maggots to be more specific. I had promised to give Gulp a fair shot. I was haulin' 'em in so I put 2 fake maggots on one of my hooks and put it out right next to a cricket pole, same depth and everything. Well shut my mouth! After about 10 more went for crickets, that maggot line got a bite. I can't tell you how excited I am. It was tough trying to keep 2 poles baited and unhook fish and all. It got a lot easier after I put them fake maggots on one of 'em. Freed me up to take care of the one that was now gettin' 99% of the catches. But I did get ONE bite on the fake stuff!. Well shut my mouth! GULP!

Views: 1343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I caught 2 crawling around in the boat yesterday when the cricket pickin's got slim. It was like Santa Claus in April! I accidently knocked my GULP jar overboard and fished it out with my fish net. One was hiding in the net and the other was hiding under the ice chest. Maybe it was the Easter Bunny instead of Santa.

Cricket tube with a funnel feed hole? I've used that style a lot but always go back to a cage I can stick my whole hand in. I think I get a faster reload. I do get hitchhickers that way, last 2 ended up on a hook anyway.
Good story, Walmart sells crickets here for 2.35 per hundred, and yes, even the dead ones catch fish if they're not dried out. Haven't tried the ones they sell in a jar, afraid they won't smell right. Gulp works if you already have them on the bite. Pet store crickets would require deep pockets at 10 -15 cnts a pop. Nice catch!
I use the tube because I cant get my hand through the opening of the old fashion cricket bucket very easy, Great day on the water today, poor fishing with the wind so high and water rose 4 feet overnight, but we scoped out some new areas, now waiting water to fall

water temperature was 72 degrees,and we drowned a few cricket,

so i thought I would show you how I rig my porqupine quill on my line

overall a good day on the water
I tore 'em up yesterday in the wind and tore 'em up again today in the wind. But the pine trees weren't half way underwater. High water is tough for fishing.

I rigged me up a rig like yours but just can't leave my bream buster alone long enough to give it a good try. I see all these other guys on here using spoons and jigs and hand tied flies and I sometimes feel stuck in the past. But I had a GREAT day tearing 'em up again!
ok I'm going to get me some cricket put a june bug on this morning. Didn't realy get good and wet and the gill hammered it. Who said you can't teach and old dog new tricks? Been using flathead minnows and doing good with them.
Im just amazed at how many people have never used crickets! Its $22 a thousand here. I wouldnt leave the house with out them!
I talked to an older man in a bait shop yesterday in Panama City, FL. He just came in from Dead Lakes at WEWAH and we got to talking about bait and he don't like crickets. Only wigglers. Said he had to throw a lot back because they were too big to fry! I got no problem with wigglers, but I don't know about somebody down south who don't like crickets.

I'm headed for Wewahitchka in the morning. I got my crickets and some uhh......wigglers. I may have to throw some back. I hope I hope.

Boogieman
And you said you couldn't multitask

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service