Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Im interested in this whole water temp thing. You guys are rubbing off on this old country mule, I guess.

So. Everything I can tell suggests that water temps, as applied to fishing, are SURFACE temps. Alright, fair enough. If that is so, just what do people use for this measurement"? Is there some fancy doodad from BassPro Shops, or can I just tie a string on my old glass aquarium thermometer and toss 'er in?

Views: 4292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't recall the brand, but mine is made to float or sink, whichever you desire. I use it in the sinking mode, and suspend it 18" under the surface.

Dave if that works for you do it. They have inexpensive one I think  W__________ has them or use to. They are like what Tony said they have a string on them and you lower them down to desired depth and I'm thinking that there is a way to tell how deep you were down for that temperature reading by how muck water was in the thermometer there are reading in it by how much water is in it.

David ,heres a thermometer/Depth reader made by Danielson .I've used them before at the end of a line spool of 10lb test line.They work ok and are $4.50  at the local tackle shop.Ya gotta be gentle somewhat as the glass or maybe its a plastic covering can break .Like Dick says one side reads water depth up to something like 150' and the other side reads temp.I use it mostly in the ice out early spring to spawning season but really should use it more to understand preferred temps and depths of multi species. 

Okay, thank folks! John, Im gonna look for one of those.

I reckon I dont have enough fishing crap yet, so can see no reason not to add one of these. LOL

The glue comes undone eventually if you dont store it  I guess in a controlled temp and it renders the gauge inaccurate.That's why i got another .Gonna have to see if I can have this one for a longer time by treating it better.

I've stumbled across some others that should work, too. In poking around the internet, I found a way to use these, in a very old fashioned way - a weighted thermometer on a string.

The cord is measured in one foot increments and you are essentially looking for the depth that has the preferred water temp for a given season. In summer, it is 70-75 degrees, for example. Find that - and you find the fishes "holding zone." 

This is kind of a poor mans fish finder and it still leaves some gaps. But it is a start and was quite common years ago. It strikes me that it could be good to have when the batteries die in your electronics.

Except now that I realize it is crap.This thermometer loosened its glue hold after one use .2nd time i went to use it the temp was unreadable due to a poor glueing jpob on the inside of the thermometer .They cannot be opened and reglued easily .A total waste of $5.00 .Sorry to report this late David.Hope you didnt buy one yet . I do not paln on ever buying another item from the Danielson Company!

I use a ClineFinder, which is the best unit available I've found short of an actual scientific measuring device. Actually, several research papers I've seen stated this was the unit used in their studies. I've compared it to several simple handheld gauges, and for surface readings, most handheld units will work fine, but they typically take a bit of time to correctly adjust to the actual temperature - not a problem if you're in no big hurry. Anything you have to drop down and then reel up quickly to see the temperature risks a decent bit of innaccuracy. Nice thing about this unit is that it comes with a 50' cable that simply reels into the unit. Great for finding thermoclines fast, as the name implies. One big negative for most is the price.

Yeah, the price is a show stopper for me. For that money, I'd get a fish finder. But I'll bet it works a treat.

For that price I'd get a fish finder with a temp gauge too. I'm looking into one ,my Eagle  burned out mid

last year .

Ha ha Eagle works ,burned out fuse was all!

Good old WOOD BACK works great!!!!!! You might have to a member of I.S.O.T. to know what that is but I can get a picture I think!!!!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service