Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Bought a spool of 6# test last year after reading some pretty good sounding reviews, so far my experience hasnt been so great.

Knot strength is so-so, usually takes a couple times to get something tied on without breaking at the knot.

Have noticed it fraying a few times, when reeling line in happen to notice strands that look like you taken a knife and shaved off a sliver and left one end still attatched, only couple inches long.

And today was the deal breaker, lost 2 fish back to back, tied on a beatle spin (took 2 tries before knot held) and a bass about a pound took it, had it to the bank and line broke nearly at the reel, second fish took my bait and only a couple seconds into it the line shot out of the water and into cat tails behind me, broke near the hook.

I keep my drag loose enuff that a decent blue gill will cause it to shreak at the hook set and several times when reeling in, so I cant blame that, and the fish werent big enuff to break 6# test, only thing I can think of is the line, just wundered if y'all had any experience with the Vicious brand of line and what your thoughts are.

Big Thanks.

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JOHNNY;;; SEVERAL YEARS AGO;; I ALSO TRIED THE ; VICIOUS LINE;; WAS EXTREMLY DISAPPOINTED WITH IT !!  AND IN ONLY ONE TIME OF TRYING IT !!   THEN;; I GOT SOME;; MR. CRAPPIE LINE; ( I USE 8 POUND TEST ON EVERYTHING )  AND IVE BEEN EXTREMLY HAPPY WITH THIS LINE !   UNTIL I ( FIND ??? ) A BETTER LINE;; IM STAYING WITH THE MR. CRAPPIE LINE !!

Thanks for the reply, well at least I know better now, may have to find me some Mr Crappie then, been trying to find a lighter weight line that can hold up just in case something with some size bites instead of blue gill, at least I didnt loose an expensive mini crank bait that I nearly tied on.

Vicous braid, mono or fluorocarbon type? I am assuming by what you are describing it is either mono or fluorocarbon that are giving you problems with knot strength etc because of compression.

I have used the fluorocarbon before as leader material back in the day… it seemed to perform as expected.

I have shopped for the braid but I believe they only carried higher diameter… designed more for bass fish etc.

I've posted elsewhere that I have been using Sufix Nanobraid (not Berkley Nanofil . . . though I like that line, too) in the 2 lbs. test strength. It is 1/1000th inch in diameter, stated this way, appears to convert back to 1.5/1000th inch in diameter from its mm metrics conversions back to inches. Nonetheless, it is extremely fine. And, it comprises Dyneema fibers in a traditional "braided" line but with tighter windings. So far, I have never broken the line under any tensile pressures. When I have gotten tangled up in lily pad stems a few times, I have either pulled the pad loose or I break off the tiny hooks I use. Fish? Bluegills up to close to a pound, some decent sized crappie, bass I guess up to nearly 2 pounds and the hardest fighter, a white bass of pretty good size. None have broken me off.

If I were interested in fishing straight braid, so tiny that it is hard to see in the water, I'd throw this Nanobraid. I plan to stay with the 2 lbs. test. which its manufacturer claims is 3X other similar lines. Not sure what that means but it is definitely a powerful line. One could step up to a slightly larger test strength for some insurance I guess.

If I were fishing fluorocarbon, I'd use a Seaguar product, any of them 4 lbs. test or lower. Tatsu would be the ultimate but very expensive; and, not all of their lines are available down to 4 lbs.

If I were fishing mono/co-polymer lines, I'd use Crappie Magnet's product, and I believe it is actually made by Sufix. Trout Magnet S.O.S. line is available down to 2 lbs.

For me,anyway, I wouldn't even consider using 6 lbs. or greater line for panfish. I use 8 lbs. fluoro leaders on 10 lbs. braid main lines for bass. 

Brad

Johnny are you sure your line isn't be nicked by a burr on either the bail roller of the reel or one of the guides of the rod? That's when I notice line fraying .

Just a quick note that I saw a source for Japanese products and, though I haven't ordered anything from them yet, I like some of the things I see.

A lot of products from the JDM, the Japanese Domestic Market, never make it over here. This is based partly on their (the Japanese) willingness to spend more on really high-end tackle; that, and they seem to have a lot of tackle and gear for lighter fishing than we have here in a more bass-dominated culture.  

So, what caught my attention on this website was the number of really small lines available from big names like Seaguar, lines down to less than #1. There are many listings that show "out of stock" but plenty with inventory.

Google Digitaka for the URL . . . I am not certain what the rules are on this forum regarding posting them. Anyway, it might be a source from some here for high quality line names for bluegills and more.

Brad

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service