Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I need to upgrade my tying vice, i'd like to get a midgrade one or so. Anyone have any reccomendations?

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HEY CHRIS,
OVER THE YEARS I'VE had 3 Regals and still have two of em now. I'd buy a clean used one in a heartbeat if I could find one !!!!!!!! Mine are standard models with clamps , not pedestals. They are bullet proof and you should be able to find one under $100 . They are the fastest vice on the market for placing hooks in the jaws and there is a cheap foreign knock off that are made in China or somewere that are LLLLLLLLLLLLots cheaper and work well too......

I was looking into one of those actually, they seem real nice!

Chris, just save up, and buy it. I still have $150 left to go for my fishing fund..LOL

Haha yeah that's what I'm probably gonna do. Maybe try to find one ebay or amazon used maybe.

This is the best overall review I have seen.  Recently Anvil moved their vise manufacturing from Ohio to South Carolina. 

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-O...

Interesting article. Thanks for the info. Regal got shot down pretty hard here.

It's the best review I have seen for that price range, for us common folks.  I felt they gave too much importance to the instruction and the box the vice came in compared to the features.  In the lowest priced category, they rate the same vise twice, one sold by BPS and the other by Cabelas and gave them different ranking because of those issue.  I have on of the BPS versions and it came in a decent cardboard box, where I stored the spare jaws but I have never reviewed the instructions.  I do have Anvil and/or Peak lust however.

HEY LEO , YA SPEND YOUR MONEY AND TAKE YOUR CHANCES . MY NUMBER ONE criteria for a vice when I baught my first Regal many years ago was ease of use and speed. I was planning on tying lllllllllllots of flies and that's just what I did. The Regal is built like a tank and any model they make should be a lifetime vice and my original one made at least 10,000 bugs. Finally the blueing started to wear on the jaws were ya put the hook in with your fingers . That's all that happened to it after 15 years of use. 
   Granted the others look higher tech and if ya want to spend the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$ get Renzetti Master or DYNA KING. GUESS WHAT They are lots more complicated as are the cheaper vices in that article and if ya use a bunch of different size hooks in one day , which is what I did early on, then they are a bit slower to use because of all the adjustments.
   I can tie 20 different size hooks in one day with no adjustments whatsoever..... 

Yup Chris if ya like bells and whistles then the more complicated , and slower vices, may be your best option. Also the cheaper ones or more expensive ones look neat too !!!!!!I  If ya are worried about what people say then by all means by the gadget loaded models or YOU CAN TAKE THE SIMPE ROUTE , which is what I did. 
    IN MY LIMITED LIFETIME OF EXPERIENCE SOMETIMES SIMPLER IS BETTER . YA know the old addage of Murphy's law , WHAT CAN GO WRONG WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN......NOT MUCH CAN GO WRONG WITH A REGAL BUDDY...... I AIN'T TRYING TO SELL YA MY EXTRA CAUSE IT AIN'T FOR SALE ...........

Hm..may want to coerce you to hand over your spare.

THAT WOULD TAKE ALOT OF COERCING LEO !!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Indeed.

Dang it Tooty!!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
23 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service