Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The longer the rod, the further it should cast a lure correct?  Assuming everything is identical, would a 7' UL cast a lure further than say a 5' UL?

If so, what would the benefit of a 5' UL be?

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

in my oppion yes;; assuming everything else is identical between the 2 rods

TECHNO ANSWER IS YES, BBBBBBBBBBBUT TO GET ALL THINGS EVEN WOULD BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE: TO dupicate the action between two rods of different lengths would virtually impossible, IMHO. The advantage to a short ultralight rod is shore fishing in streams or ponds with shore cover. DIstinct advantage for the short one then. Todays super lines have negated alot of the old longer is better because of the castability of the new lines. Also guides have come along ways today over say 20 years ago. I do however like the new lines and the limper the better, they just plain cast better due to less guide friction . LIne friction is the biggest killer of distance casting and also bottom guide ring size is very important.

OK LETS HERE EVERYONES OPINIONS!!!!

Yes a 7' rod will cast further. We use shorter rods for dock fishing - sometimes for trolling - and fishing in flot tubes.

There are so many factors to come into play that I don't think the question has a definitive answer. I have spent way too much money and can tell you longer may not get you an extra foot in casting distance...even if it is same brand...model...and same action and power on the rod. The benefit of a 5 foot Ul rod are many. Shooting docks for crappie come to mind instantly.....fishing small streams...or fishing in a tight spot where you have a 7 footer and prayed you had a 5 foot rod with you because the trees only allowed you to have a short back stroke on the cast. I have been putting off getting a short rod for years. It has cost me by not having one. I am sure others will chime in here...Walt and some of the other rod builders can be more precise in the answer to your question.

Regards 

Get  a  6 ft. foot  rod  ------ it  will  be  a little  to short  /  to  long  at  times  but  on avg.  it'll  do  for  most   fishing  enviroments.   A  good  quality  6 ft. rod  should  give  you  the  casting  distance  needed.    To  answer   your  question  I  would  think  a  7 ft.  should  cast  farther.

Absolutely a longer rod equals longer casts - just basic physics.  The next question after length, in terms of bluegill fishing, is action; if very light lures are going to be used, a UL or super-UL rod is going to cast those lures significantly further than a L or ML action rod simply because it's going to load better with the light lures.  

But, to get back to the question of length, longer rods will definitely cast further than shorter ones.  Shorter rods can be more convenient in tight spots, as Randy notes; but when it comes to distance, there's no comparison.  

i use a 7 foot all the time;; if i get into a position i cant cast because of trees; or something behind me;  i pull my jig; crank bait; cricket; or what ever im using;; pull it ; creating a bow in the rod; aim it where i want it to go;  realease the line; [ ive already tripped the bail; or pushed a button] and let it fly!  it goes pretty much where i want it to; but a cast like that is for short distance; into a real mess of branches or something.  its something to practise; and youll be surprised how good of a shot you can be. here in my area;; its real common to see guys cast that way. it works best if you have a descent sinker; and float on.  in this way; i dont need a short rod; and with practise  you can shoot a line under a walk way of a dock easily

I guess the reason I ask this is because I have UL in both 6 and 6 1/2", but nothing in the short variety.  I guess I need to go pick up a cheap one somewhere to test it out.  I can see it coming in use for shore fishing.  I tend to look for the spots that I can safely cast with one of my rods and pass by some other spots that look pretty nice.

Up until this year, I never owned an ultralight longer than 5'. I always preferred a shorter rod, and never saw the need to get a longer one. After all, my basic philosophy is to fish the water where no angler has gone before, and that usually means fishing from a spot that most wouldn't even consider. And a short rod can be your friend in tight quarters.

Nowadays I still reach for a short rod quite often, but since I started experimenting with my cold water slip floating, and the slow fall presentations in warm water, I found the short rods lacking in casting distance. Walt built me a longer rod on a fly rod blank, and I purchased a 6' St Croix panfish rod, and they both have proven themselves to be valuable additions to my arsenal.

I most often fish from a kayak. You can have too long...and too short of a rod. Too long and you can't get the fish to you to lip...net....and if it is a big fish then you break off. Too short a rod and you can't work him from one side of the kayak to the other...the rod will not extend past the bow of the kayak....then you are open to all sorts of things...line rubbing and so on. How do you like the St Croix? They sure hype those rods up a lot.

Regards 

Love my St. Croixs!

If you get one, make sure you register it on their site.  If you don't and it breaks (like mine did) it's a big PITA to get a new rod.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service