Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Here's something only my fevered mind would dream up.
Every angler wants to catch the big name fish. Big bass, Massive salmon, trophy bluegill, arapaima in South America (my personal quest), and so on.

But what about those other fish, the "trashy" ones we don't admire nor talk much about? If you were to target them, which ones would you go after?

In other words, what would a "Non-game Fish Bucket List" look like?

Views: 5331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All sized gar, silver carp on a stringed line of 10 hooks, muskies, great white shark, and any fish that I can get my hands on that is considered as trash.

1.  100 pound alligator gar

2.  snakehead

Snakehead! YES!! Forgot that crazy thing. Not to mention the siamese carp in Thailand, and the Nile monster perch. Okay, time to rewind back to the U.S.  instead.

no fish is a trash fish along as you now how to cook it!!!

absolutely jose,why are they trash?we pollute the water so bad that only fish that can survive in marginal water are left,around here it would be carp and bullheads.carp can survive where many so called game fish cannot.we pollute the water and blame the carp .i have seen carp not only thrown on the shore but abused before hand.i do not like cruelty in any form.let it go or eat it.at least humanely kill it and put it to some sort of use.feed the raccoons or fertilize your garden.river suckers and buffalo are native carp and people have always eaten them.smoked or a north woods favorite sucker patties.

I get why people call them trash fish, but Ive never seen any fish that way. They are all worth catching in my opinion. Most are worth eating, in some way. None deserve to die, brutalized and treated like trash.

i hear ya david,i used to have similar attitudes as it was popular belief years ago.i used to catch really large bowfin with my gramps on the kankakee river.they called em bleeders and i found out why.they would cut their heads off and watch em bleed.yet they viewed river suckers as a delicacy .my fishing club has hybrid grass carp for vegetation control.i have hooked about a dozen on flies the last few years.beached 3.i just get their head on shore and unhook em.some of these carp approach 60 + pounds and are vegetarians so not easy to fool or bring in.i fish for these {not supposed to fish for them} with a 5wt.reminds me of tarpon fishing in the keys years ago.carp are the biggest fish that swim in most bow.someplaces the only fish.i really have respect for them and the bass seem to be bigger in lakes that have big carp.i think cause they root around exposing prey for predatory fish.

Interesting observations on the carp. I've seen them for years, as have most people. Everything from the jumbo browns and grassies to koi in backyard ponds. But I've never made a point to catch them.

In recent seasons, I have only glimpsed a few - not because of any shortage, but I just havent gotten around where they are. As far as I know, they are not widely distributed in my region

The common carp is actually relatively intelligent as fish go and not all that easy to fool. Also, being great foraging cows, lures and baits for them are unlike what mainstream Fish America is hawking to the masses. I have heard a local lake, Greenwood, has a population of them and there are some dedicated Carp-a-teers over there.

Just once, I'd like to eat some. If I like it, twice.

i think they are pretty much everywhere david.there are some native species such as the red horse and sucker and buffalo in my region.the common carp was brought from europe and stocked by train i believe like the brown trout

Carp fishing in Europe is huge. Just look at the prices of Match Poles in the UK. Good poles run about USD 1,500.00 or more. Tackle is UL and hook sizes run 12 - 20. 

Yeah, Jim. I know they are around... I just need to find em I guess, at least cyprinius carpio, the common carp.

We have triploid (sterile) grass carp in the large lakes around here, but they are off limits - a big no-no. The common brownies are not often seen by me at least.

MINUTIAE - carp were first imported to the US in the 1820's, far earlier than I had seen. They werent imported in large numbers as a food source (intended) until the late 1800's during U.S. Grant's administration.

great comment Jim!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service