Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Thinking about making the plunge into fly-fishing for sunnies....

I know, I know.  If I do, I'm stepping off the deep end.  Next thing you know, I'll be dropping money to start tying flies, buying hip-waders and running down to the Lower Mountain Fork River to chase Rainbows and Browns.

Can anyone recommend a decent starter rig?  Price is an issue here, as money is always tight with 5 kids to feed.  I've seen the kits at Wally World made by Shakespeare and Pflueger.  I know I can go to Academy and get some stuff, but if I remember right, it ain't cheap.  I know BPS has some stuff, but again, it ain't cheap.  We have a Dick's here, but I haven't looked to see if they have any fly-fishing stuff.

What size rod am I looking at, for sunnies?  A 2- or 3-weight?

I'll most likely be fishing with a weight-forward floating line, probably poppers, spiders, and grasshopper patterns.

If I decide to start using Wooly buggers, will I need a sinking tip line?  Do fly reels come with extra spools like some spinning reels do?

Of course, if I really get into that addiction, I'll probably start chasing Stripers/Wipers/Whites with a fly.  I know that will take a heavier-duty rod, streamers, etc.  That can come at a later time.

I just looked, and found a really cheap combo on the BPS website, the "Bugger Combo", $39.99.  It's a 5-weight.  No spare spool, line, backing, etc.  Just the rod and reel.  Not sure I want to go that route.

Views: 1047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do you know how to flyfish? if not I could give you some tips that I learned the HARDWAY

Sorta-kinda.  You're going to cry, but when I was a kid, I slapped a fly reel onto a spinning rod and used that.  I could get decent casts, at least for the creek I was fishing.  I actually did catch sunnies, mostly on poppers.

I would buy a pre-looped end, weight forward flyline that is 1-2 weights heavier than your rod, a prelooped BASS leader, and a SHORT amount of regular flurocarbon casting line as a tippet.

to me the rod/reel is not near as important as the above, the fish don't know the difference between my $20 rig and my high dollar ones.

eagle claw makes some decent cheap rods.the cheapest reel that will function.buy decent line and as others say 1 line size heavier.i would use mono for a leader if tour fishing on top.

My dad is an expert fly fisherman so it only took me a few months to get down the fly cast pretty well, but even without teaching if you've been fishing all of your life I'm sure you'll be a quick learner. On the issue of rods and reels, I wouldn't go extremely cheap because once you learn how to cast, you're gonna realize that rod stinks and want a better rod. I'd go with an 8-foot long 4-weight for sunnies if I were you. Good luck, it's a fun sport!

I would look at your local dicks's they usually have a cheap combo for 60bucks (at least it comes with backing and line also a few flies if I'am not mistaken) . I would go with the 5wt cause you never know what you will hook into I've had a few nice bass in the 3-5lb range with those popper's.

I FISH WITH FLY ROD POPPERS WITH WHATEVER POLE I HAVEN'T BROKE, WITH A ZEBCO 33 REEL. THE FISH DON'T CARE. CAUGHT BLUEGILLS, ROCKBASS, BASS, & CREEK CHUB. FISH SEEM TO LIKE ORANGE & WHITE. MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY FOR A BASS TO GO AIRBORNE A FEW FEET AWAY. BEEN THINKING ABOUT BUYING A 9' OR LONGER FLY ROD TO REACH SPAWNING BEDS FROM SHORE, BEHIND FALLEN TREES ETC, PAST ROCKS, AND VERTICAL JIGGING IN WEED BEDS. MAYBE, I SHOULD JUST USE A CANE POLE.

I apologize to the fly rodders about being negative about needing a fly rod. The five kids hit home. I found a very long telescoping cane pole at home. Bought it with a bunch of poles at a flea market. Never used it and decided this is what I needed for reaching difficult spots. Have fun fishing however you like to do it!

If you have a Wal-Mart near you check out their combos. Seen a Martin and Shakespeare complete combos there the other day and I think they were 30 to $40 range. I have a Martin combo I bought around 20 years back and it is still holding up nice. Used it for bream on many different lakes and with it being a four section rod it's easy to store in the boat compartments. I don't use the Martin much anymore as I have other rods that I want to use but it is always ready for service when needed.:)

Ronnie, I have seen those.  I thought the Shakespeare wasn't worth it.  However, the Martin might be.  I want to look around and see what some other shops have.  That, and I don't have the funding right now.

Allen, what's your total budget? If you're looking full rigged for $100, why not BPS for the White Water Dogwood Canyon combo. I tried out Dogwood and the Hobb Creek..the reel for the Hobb Creek combo is fragile to say the least. I thought of getting it as a low end training replacement for my kid and myself, but will getting something more vintage later. If you're doing a $40 combo, might as well stick with the Shakespear.

Stick with the 4/5wt or 5/6wt setting as a beginner. But if you're going big game, stick with 8/9wt. A pretty heavy gear for beginner.

I played with 7', and 10'. I'm hooked with the 8' to 9' version. Great balance for shore and on the water.

Leo, right now, I'm just trying to get a feel for what my budget should be.

I agree that a setup for large predators is not in my best interest for now.  Get something to play with the sunnies, to get my arm/wrist/body trained to use a fly rod.

I'll probably just get a cheap combo setup.  If I like it, then, come tax time, decide if I want to upgrade to a decent rig for sunnies, bass, etc., or if I want to get a rig for the bigger predators.  I made this same post on my local fishing board.  I've got two other folks that have offered to let me borrow a 5wt rig to see if I can get the casting down.  I'll probably do that here soon.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
23 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service