Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Having caught hybrids many times and of good sizes.. One question always elude me. With countless googling, no answer yet. The question remains, what happens in the hybrid life. Mainly spawning but also how does being a hybrid effect the overall sunfish population and size structure. So really, does the hybrid exist only to breed very little? How fertile are hybrids? If fertile, does F2, F3, and so on remain hybrids or do they eventually revert back to pure strain after so many cross backs. Does it improve overall pure strain size because hybrid grows faster and attain quality size faster? In my years experiences, hybrids tend to be solitaire spawners. I have caught gurading hybrids males off colonies of bluegill beds but majority of the time, they are by themselves in a solitaire bed. If hybrids are not very fertile and is bad for the sunfish population over time, would harvest of hybrids be beneficial? Thoughts, experience, facts?

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RIC;; THE BEST GUYS TO ANSWER THIS ONE IS;; TONY LIVINGSTON;; AND  WALT FOREMAN !!  BOTH OF THESE GUYS; HAVE PROABLY ; FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT  BLUE GILL; THAN MOST OF US KNOW !!

I'm at work now, and have a busy weekend coming up, but will revisit this thread as soon as I get the chance.

I used to fish a pond that was stocked with BG x GS Hybrids.

I've learned a few things over the years.  Hybrid sunnies, OF ANY STRAIN, are fertile, and will spawn and produce offspring.  Most hatcheries sell the BG x GS Hybrids as the Hybrids are about 95% male.  So, if the BOW is stocked with only the Hybrid, you'll see very little reproduction, due to the low number of females.  However, ALL the males will still prepare beds, so it will look like they are spawning.

I have caught a few F2 generation fish, from the same pond.  These fish had the body size and shape of a good-sized Green Sunfish, but they were colored more like a Black Crappie with a little bright orange on their fins.  Weird looking fish.

I've been told that if you are stocking BG x GS Hybrids, you have to kill the pond every few years and restock, to keep the F2 and F3 fish from taking over.

I've also fished a creek that had some naturally-occuring BG x GS hybrids.  It does happen!  That particular creek was LOADED with fish.  I could always count on catching some Greenies near the bank, and 'gills out in the middle.  The ocassional LMB and/or Channel Cat just added some spice :)  UL fishing and/or fly fishing in that creek was always a blast.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
19 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
19 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."