Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I stopped off at the pond at work today.  I started off with a popper, and caught a Hybrid sunnie, a Bluegill or two, and missed at least one fish.  Decided to switch over to a "Flicted Damselfly" pattern I found a couple months ago.  It's an extended body nymph tied with marabou, and bead-chain eyes.

The fish went wild over it!  I actually saw at least one wake of a fish rushing in to eat this bug.  I caught a couple more big Hybrid Sunnies, and several Bluegill, with several missed fish or fish that came unbuttoned.  They were absolutely INHALING this bug.  I had to get my forceps out to remove the fly several times.  When the Hybrid sunnies would hit, I actually thought I had a LMB, from the pressure that was being exerted on my 8wt!

I didn't get any pics of the fish.  I need to tie up a few more of these flies.  When I did my initial tie of this pattern, I only did three, and have since lost two to the weeds and brush.

Views: 2563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you share pics of the fly

As soon as I tie a few more up, I will.

I made a few foam type dragon fly for a friend to hunt bass for top actions. I'll take a few photos later. You can also shrink it down to #6 size hooks, or even as small as #14. Since I don't have all the material, the wings are not as..well..pretty..deadly nonetheless with the fly or spinner gear.

Cool thanks can't wait to see them

Here is a basic tye with limited materials and spare foam, on a 4/0 hook to entice bass. A hot magnet. Stand up to about 20 battles of tug o war before a new fly has to be replaced. The foam tail cant handle those rows of teeth.

I know there's times down here that they'll get so focused on a dragonfly hatch they'll bite nothing else, they can even get picky about color of your dragonfly.

Sounds like a great time !!I'm anxious to see the fly you used also!

Ok, here it is:

Hook:  size 8 nymph hook, down-turned eye

Thread:  brown 6/0

Eyes:  black bead chain, tied on top of the hook

Tail:  Marabou, tied as an extended body, loosely spiraling the thread to near the tips, then spiral it back.  Tie this on a needle mounted in the vice, and finish the tail with half-hitches, then slide the tail off the needle

Body:  Leftover marabou from the tail, twisted into a rope, and wound around the hook, around the eyes, tied off just behind the eyes

Wing case:  Pheasant tail fibers, covered with Flexament

Legs:  tips of the Pheasant tail fibers

Head:  thread

Start it off like mentioned, by making the tail first, on a needle mounted in the vise.  Use the whole marabou feather to make the fly, and capture marabou on the needle about half an inch from the tip.  Wind the thread loosely from the tie-in point to about 1/4" from the tip, wrap around the marabou a couple times, then loosely wind the thread back to the tie-in.  Tie a few half-hitches and cut the thread. 

Once the tail is made, and removed from the needle (I usually make several tails at once), it's time to start the fly itself.  Mount the fly in the vise.  Start the thread just past the eye.  I like to build up two thread bumps, then attach the bead chain between them, using figure-eight loops.  Advance the thread to the bend of the hook.  I like to use a little Sally Hansen's to secure the thread wraps around the bead chain.

Secure the tail to the hook, then advance the thread to just behind the eyes.  Twist the remaining marabou into a rope, and wind that around the hook, looping the feather once past the eyes, then back behind the eyes.  Capture the feather with the thread, and tie it down.

At this point, flip the hook upside-down in the vise.  Cut some Pheasant tail fibers from the feather, and secure to the underside of the hook (now on top) like a PT nymph.  Form the head, whip finish, coat with Sally, and let it dry for a minute.

I tie this fly like this, with the wing case on the underside, because with the down-eye of the hook, and the bead chain on top, the hook will flip over in the water.  Once this happens, it will swim like a normal bug, but with the hook point up, making it somewhat weedless.

I don't add extra weight to the fly.  From what I've read, damselfly nymphs swim within inches of the surface.  A slow, stripping retrieve will be perfect.  Judging from the hits I was getting today, it works.

Classic tie job.

Thanks.  It was deadly today!  Once I got the hang of tying the extended body, it was a fairly quick tie.  I did three tonight.  I may tie some more tomorrow; my normal "batch size" is at least 6 flies.

MAN WHAT A GREAT LOOKING FLY ALLEN !!!!!!! VERY NICE INDEED AND YOU SHOULD BE PROUD .....

How do get a strong connection between the tail and body?

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
13 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
14 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday
tracy willis posted photos