Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anybody messed around with this tenkara stuff? Im mostly wondering about the rods how is the action do the fish put up a good fight? Alot of the area that I flyfish for gills is close to shore so the short line length isnt an issue and I know the flies will work because theyre all basicly soft hackles and those are usualy killers.

Views: 7795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chuck

Maybe you are onto something

I picked up a 9 foot BNM Bream Buster and was able to rig 9 feet of #3 tenkara line, a micro tippet ring and 3 feet of 2# high viz Stern . I was suprised at how well I was able to cast the line. Hope to give this a try on Sunday. 

330 Fountainhead Tenkara Caddis Fly Rod

8 segments

2.8 oz 5:5 action

Open length : 11' (330 cm)

Closed Length: 21" (50CM) 

5:5 will fish a bit soft 

Chuck

Gave the BNM pole a try last week as a Tenkara Rod and was not able to cast well. Wind was a problem. I switched to 2# line, #10 aberdeen hook and a Trout Magnet float and it was fish on. I kept the pole tip in the water which cut down the wind. 

JDA

Just got my Tenkara USA Iwana 12' with 3.5 level line, line holder and Tenkara USA carry bag last week. Put the line and tippet on last night. Hope to give it a try wednesday.  Going to try and tie some flies up as soon as I can find my vise!

Craig

Craig

Welcome to the dark side and have fun  :)

Welcome to Tenkara. I've only had my Iwana for a couple weeks, I've briefly fished it twice in a pond and caught bass and bluegill. It's a blast. I hope to fish the Chattahoochee this week for some trout. 

Thanks Joe & Ralph. Went to a private lake on Wednesday to do some 'Gill and Crappy fishing. Was going to take the new rod but the wind was blowing good much I thought I would break it in when the wind isn't an issue.  Did catch some nice 10-13" black crappies on my new Phenix Elixir 8' 1-6lb rod.  Second trip with this rod, and I LOVE this rod.  Caught a nice 10" "gill last week on it, none yesterday.

Craig

Craig

Checked the spec on the Phenix and looks like the rod would be a blast for Panfish and Trout. The blanks appears to be rated  1- 6 lb ,/ 8 feet or just about a 3 wt for a fly rod . The Iwana will fish a bit different in wind but you could use #4 tenkara line. The Iwana will manage wind but not as well as a rod and reel. 

I'm a fan of UL what do you have paired with the rod for a reel. 

I have a Shimano Stella FB with 4# P-Line Floro Clear.  Casts great.  The rod is awesome. been catching some great Crappy and a real nice 'gill.  Caught a trout both times out.  The first was around 14-15" and another about the same size the next week. 

Craig

got out today for the first time with my fountainhead caddis rod and streamside leaders line, they worked great together, highly suggest both. the biggest gill i got was about 7 a bunch of smaller ones about 2 dozen small crappies and some shiners all on a #14 pink scud.

I finally caught my first trout on my TenkaraUSA Iwana 12' rod yesterday on the Chattahoochee. I may go to a pond tomorrow for some bluegills and bass. 

nice, Ive gotta wait for late april early may until Ill really go after trout in streams gotta wait for the early season pressure to die down.

Mike

Trust you had a blast. Streamside makes a great tenkara leader. Scuds are always a good choice but dry are great for a little top action. 

Enjoy the Fountainhead

JDA

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
19 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service