Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just curious, did anyone fish this season with a Tenkara Rod. I used a Fountainhead Caddis rod twice and had a blast. 

Views: 1441

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But with a fly rod you have all your line and your backer. All is set to break before your rod if set up correctly. You have a long way to tired the fish out before he can break off. I put an example below of a striper I caught on my 2wt. Granted I broke off about 6 before I finally caught 1 but my line broke at its weakest point the leader.

I have found a beginner kit that looks reasonably priced. 12' Tenkara Fly Rod & Starter Package  

Joe I'm not quit sure can't make out the tip but looks like it could work. Do you have anywhere I can go to read up about it looks interesting.

Joe thanks for the comebacks.

Thanks again for the info Joe.

Youtube vid on how to cast a Tenkara rod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NItUPXb_WY

I have to admit that I doubt I will be experiencing Tenkara firsthand, but after watching the video link posted by Steve, I was struck by a couple things.

What intrigued me was the notion of speed....true, the angler was wading the creek, and it was fairly open, but the lack of a reel coupled with a relatively short line appeared to offer a very quick way to cover the water. A quick over hand cast drops the fly, no takers simply repeat..... no back and forth rod whipping for distance, every forward motion of the arm dropped the bait. Very speedy way to find active fish.

Second, the lack of fishing the water on the retrieve. It looks like it's all a case of a fish hitting the initial drop, not enticing them to hit by manner of a retrieve. Again, very quick. I like that.

Wading a stream for small fish, providing your stealth akills are up to par, that's right.
It was born of that environment.
Be a stumble foot or need more than 10 yards and it might be lacking.
I'm like you - I doubt I'll be messing with it. But within its limits, it's the ticket.

PS Many tenkara bums are crossing over to brim fishing small ponds. It works there, as LOL go as you can get in close. But watch out - I've had some petty big pond bass grab a tenkara fly. It's on then.

I can completely see how still water, small ponds would lend themselves to this style of fishing.

Sight fishing a spawning colony of bluegills with the tenkara method? That would be quick and deadly.

dont have much in the way of small streams in my area.a few but they dont hold many sunfish.i will be more swinging and flinging if i get one.probably only about 6or 7 ft of line.i want to dance a fly or jig right on top of them,just like ice fishing

Interesting Video Steve thanks for sharing.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
6 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."