Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Friday 6/15/12

Arrived at the cottage at Farwell Lake in Jackson County Michigan Friday about 6:00PM. Got everything unloaded then proceeded to the boat Launch on Pine Hill Lake. Unloaded the pontoon and my Wife drove the truck and trailer back to the cottage. I drove the pontoon to the cottage. This is the first time at the lake. The lake was crystal clear and shallow. Found out that the pontoon would only do 2200rpm which is an idle. The motor would die if I tried to add more gas. Finally made it to the cottage told the grand kids wait by the water so I would know where the boat dock was. Got to the launch and tied the boat down. When I rented the cottage I told the lady that my wife was handicapped and She assured me only 2 steps up into the cottage and a straight shot down to the boat dock. She neglected to tell me that the boat dock was a football field and a half down a steep hill all the way. How she planned for the wife to get down let alone up the hill is beyond me. We turn in for the night.

Views: 1650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sat 6/16/12

Went out Saturday morning didn't want to chance going out on the big lake with the motor not running properly. Went down Rainbow lake about 100yards from the cottage picked up my ultra light rod with my new Pflueger Arbor on my new Berkley rod. Casted out a 1/16 oz red headed jig with and 1 ½ white pearl tail and the ride was on. Something almost tore my new rod and reel out of my hands. Watching my drag peel of at an alarming rate and I could see my line coming to the end. I turned the trolling motor on high and headed towards the fish trying to gain some line. I was gaining and it stopped pulling. I reeled up my line till I got to some thick pads. I could feel him on the line yet then he made another surge in the weeds and was gone. Can't tell you what it was never got to see it but it was a rush for sure. Rainbow Lake looks like a channel but that’s what they call it. It is 2 to 4 foot deep and not lacking in the weed department. From there I motored over to Pine Hill Lake. This lake is 2 to 6 feet with a 10 foot hole. I did find a weed bed with weed about 2 to 4 foot from the bottom in the 10 foot hole. Started jigging it managing to catch few Crappies, Large Mouth Bass, Rock Bass, Small Mouth Bass and some Long Ears. Released everything back again. Went back to the Cottage ate breakfast and drank a pot of coffee and made Linda her breakfast when she got up. I called up Terry Glascock who wanted to fish with me and informed him that we would need his boat. We set it up for Monday morning and he would bring his boat.

That evening took my grand daughter out and she wanted to fish without her bobber like I do. So I gave her instruction and we started fishing. I got a few Crappies and then Cheyenne hooked one. Made my day and she was grinning from ear to ear. I got a few more and them she got her 2nd one. It really make you feel good when it all comes together and the teacher has done a good job and the student has learned her new found fishing system. Its starting to get dark so we headed for the cottage and I was first to tell Grandma about Cheyennes Crappies. With experience she will hone in on her new found skills and improve upon them and I enjoy her so much.

Dick, Sounds like a GREAT TIME!!!!! Your GRANDAUGHTER has a GREAT SMILE !!!!!!! Oh, and YOU DO TOO!!!!!! :-)

Sun 6/17/12

Sunday was going to be another hot one. I got up and motored right over to Pine Hill Lake. I fished the same 1/16 oz red headed jig with a pearl 1 ½ twister tail. The Crappies seamed to have moved. Caught a couple small Gills, a Rock Bass and a Seed. Then nothing for about 10 minutes then boom. My 2nd fight was on. Here I am with my small jig 4 pound test flourocarbon and a fish taking out my line for the 2ndtime. I fought him for awhile and he got in the weed bed beneath the pontoon. Luckily for me the weeds were not as thick and it finally pulled it out. Then I seen it it was a big Large Mouth I wanted to fight him and tire him out then at that point I was able to get the net and net it. Took my pictures and released it after taking a few pictures. I thought about Bruce and his picture taking ability and I'm here to tell you I had a hard time getting the fish picture that I wanted and still didn't get the picture I wanted. The Bass was about 6lbs and my picture ability was worthless but I did get some pictures. Back to the Cottage ate breakfest had another pot of coffee and made Linda's breakfest when she got

up.

Got Linda and the grand Kids to the pontoon and we headed for the big lake Farwell Lake. I think this is the clearest lake I’ve ever fish to date. We found a sand bar and the Grand Kids went swimming while grandma and I watched. Nice sandy gravel bottom prefect for nesting gills and swimming kids. We loaded up and went back to the dock. When we got to the dock we put Grandma on her scooter and proceeded to try and push her and the scooter up the mountain well that’s what it looked like to me. Finally after about 10 minutes and 10 breaks we made it I will tell you the hill put me in my place.Went out that evening again with Cheyenne. I managed a couple Crappies, couple small Bass and Cheyenne caught about a 13 in bass, she was really tickled and I for her as well. The fish turned off so we headed back to the dock.

Monday 6/18/12

About 6:00AM Terry rolled up in his Gill Getter Pontoon nice outfit. We figured that Farwell Lake was where we needed to be we wanted deeper water and weeds. This lake is so clear and void of any real weed beds. We managed to fined a couple small weed beds and fished the catching some small Large Mouth, Rock Bass and some War mouths. We got to a place on the opposite side of the lake and there is was a lone weed bed. We started catching some Crappies on the outside of the weed bed. The weeds were down probably 15 feet or so. I would cast my jig out and feel a little weight then set the hook and Crappie. The bite was so lite it was hard to detect. Most of the time I could see my jig down there at 10 or 14 feet when it disappeared I knew the fish had it and set the hook. The wind picked up and made it a little hard to control the pontoon. We caught a few Cappies more Rock Bass and War Mouths. We fished till 11:30 and I had to get back. Want to thank Terry for the pleasure of fishing with him and the pleasure was all mine. We managed to get back in time cause the clouds were turning black and it finally rained like cats and dogs. Stayed in with no PM fishing.

Don't wake the sleeping dog (Gracie)

Tuesday 6/19/12

Went back to the Farwell Lake weed bed picked up 6 nice Crappies, 3 Large Mouth Bass, 6 Rock Bass and a War Mouth. It was a little more aggressive bite. Again I used a 1/16 oz jig with a white pearl 1 ½ inch twister tail. Had to leave early cause I knew it would take me awhile to cross the lake back to the dock. Again coffee breakfast with the Wife and Grand Kids.

In the afternoon we loaded up the Wife, Grand Kids and the Dog and went to Farwell to another sand bar for the Grand Kids to swim. We stayed for a long time I think it was 95 degrees so they really enjoyed the swim. We loaded up to get back for supper. Got to the dock got Linda on her scooter and commenced pushing her up the hill. Took awhile for me to recuperate so we had a late supper.

The Grandson (Cole) wanted to go out in the evening if I went. We headed out around 7 PM. I got a couple Crappies but Ill say this for Cole he was trying hard, he was getting bites but couldn't connect. There were about 500 hundred small gills that kept picking at him. It was getting dark so we had to leave.

I really enjoyed reading of your vacation, Dick. The pictures were a real bonus. I am about like you when it comes to getting good pictures. lol  Keep them coming, and tight lines to you!

Thank you kind sir for your kind words. Always fished now I'm learning to tote the camera along but not good at self photos. We do have some people who have it down to a science and it shows in some of the work they display. Again thank you Vince for the kind words and GOOD FISHIN..

Wednesday 6/20/12

Again I went back to Farwell lake. It's hard not to when the only existing weed bed in 10 to 15 foot of water is there and draws me like a magnet. I caught 4 descent Crappies they were getting lock jaw on me and I had to work hard for them. Back for breakfast and my pot of coffee.

That evening I stayed close to the cottage and fished Pine Hill Lake. Caught 4 Large Mouth Bass, 3 Rock Bass, and 2 War Mouths. Took out the Fly rod. Don't know if the water was to rough because of all the wind but couldn't get a bite. Even went to where Cole had all them Gill bothering him the night before. Took off the rubber spider and put on a butt spider. I did manage to eventually catch a small gill. Called it an evening.

Thursday 6/21/12

Again hit Farwell Lake. Caught 5 Crappies, 4 Large Mouth Bass, 6 Rock Bass, and 8 Ware Mouths some of which were decent. This was my last trip and the saddest part was my wife never got to wet a line. She wouldn't go anymore after Tuesday she thought I was going to have a heart attack after pushing her up the hill. I should have drove to the lake and checked it out but relied on what I was told as being the gospel shame on me.

Waiting for next year.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
18 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
18 hours ago
18 hours ago
18 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."