Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

While on my lunch break, I said to myself, what the heck, let's swing by a Super Walmart to see what they have for sales as the holidays approach.

Nothing special in the kids' isles..eh..

Hm..too much things in the sexy stuff for the lady..stay away..do not call the wife.

Nothing special in the electronics..

Nothing in the sports isles..

Wait..arts, crafts, and fabrics..maybe..

BEHOLD! A mountain of gold. Poly-nylon threads, ranging between 4/0 to 10/0 in size, different array of colors (from dull to florescence), including CLEAR!! I'm shaking with excitement. Pulled out a spool, and test the line's strength..holy molly! This stuff is strong and thin.

I created a basket out of my t-shirt, tossed in every color I could get my hand on, and each spool was 150 to 300 yards, for $0.99 to $1.50. I was crying. The women nearby me thought I went insane for grabbing so much threads. I turned to them and asked, "Are these on special sales or something?"

They looked bewildered, and one of them chuckled, "No, they always have these here for this price." YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! You mean to tell me I've been spending an arm and a leg to purchase 100 yards of fly tying threads online, and they can't even cover the colors I wanted, but here it is..at Super Walmart..fly tying thread heaven for cheap!

Ended up spending close to $60 just on threads..I think I went a bit overboard.

Views: 3222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go to your local bee keeper and get some beeswax...... thats what I use and wax all my thread.....

Nah..I only use bee wax to make living quarters for my waxworms/bee moths. I use spits for the dubbing. Can't say my tongue and wife appreciate me after tying, but hey, less mess to deal with.

Thanks for the reassurance Larry. I thought I did go insane for a moment. By the way, I could not find the silver, brass, or gold beads there. I did find plenty of glass beads the same size at Joann's and Michael's arts/crafts/fabric stores here, with the same weight specs as those metal beads. 75 pieces, always on sale every few months, for $1.75. I smiled from side to side, but get sorrowful because my wife and daughter took them all as soon as they saw something pretty..*sigh* price to pay to make those two happy.

Our Super Wal-Mart here stinks. No fly fishing nor fly tying heck barley got any good fishing stuff. 

Sounds like we have the same sporting goods department managers......Mine stinks too. If it's not for salt water, don't go to the wally world here. Funny thing is the beach is over 30 miles away.....

sounds like you got a good deal.just remember if you have a local shop that sells the same and also stocks feathers hooks fur etc.even if the cost is more you are helping them keep their doors open.it is nice to have a shop where you can actually hold the materials in your hand and decide if the quality and colors are what you want.i live in the 3rd largest metro area in the country and  i believe we are down to 1 real fly shop and the ma and pa bait shops are disappearing also as walmart also sells worms now.thank god i was able to accumulate enough quality feathers to last me before my last local shop closed.i now buy all my hooks and thread online and i make sure they are an american brick and mortar store.i do buy foam and a few other things from hobby lobby but it will never be the same as walking into a fly shop on a winter day and seeing these guys tie a fly in 30 seconds that i will never have the talent to tie.

Jim, there's no more mom and pops store here any more that sell fly tying materials. Only Bass Pro Shop. I've looked around, but most, if not all store that I've contacted and visited in the past had gone out of business over 2 years ago. This is why I'm forced to purchase things online.

i know leo,i am just trying to let those that still have a local shop to remember they are there and to buy local whenever you can.i drive past the big box home improvement stores just to go to the local hardware.may pay a little more but we don't need another boarded up store around here.i have no interest in this company but they really have some deals.chuckanddeb.com.lots of thread micro jigs icejigs spinner making fly tying.lots of micro plastics and southern pro..lots of odds and ends.always get my order superfast

Thanks for the site! They're on my to-go list now.

Nah, you're not insane. I by a lot of my tying stuff and craft and big box stores.

Leo you know I'm still new to the fly tying but the way I break thread wouldn't this thread break even easier.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service