Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

So folks, with all these awesome gillers out there and, this site, what do you think the chances are that we we will see a new state record or even a new world record sometime soon? Any thoughts?

Views: 4292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting question. Each of you should look at your own state, and give an opinion as to the chances of breaking this record.

Nebraska state record I believe, is 2-12. I actually think this could be broken, but I'd suspect that it would come out of private waters. Probably a Western Nebraska lake that gets low pressure, and has northern pike, yellow perch and largemouth bass for predators. I also think that it would have to have lots of submergent vegetation and a large invertebrate base. It could happen. I think that somewhere in Nebraska a fish this size dies, uncaught, every year.

If the world record of 4-12 was broken in my lifetime, I'd be absolutely stunned. However with the advent of thoughtful, intensive management and high quality feeds, a lake like Richmond Mill in North Carolina could give it a run. I'm pretty sure that sometime next fall Richmond Mill will top the 3 pound mark. As far as I know, I have the lake record at 2-10 right now. It's only a matter of time before that's broken!
Bruce,

On the records above were they Native or Coppernose?

Also is there a world record for the GSF or HBG, since I know many states do not have them?

By the way Oklahoma's record Sunfish are below:

BG 2-6
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/bsunfish.jpg

HBG 1-14
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/hsunfish.jpg

Redear 2-1
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/recordfish/rsunfish.jpg

GSF 2-7
Sorry no pic on this one
The Nebraska record is a native/northern/standard.

The World Record is unknown to me. I'm not sure there is a picture out there to answer the question. It's a really good question, though.
Wisconsin record of 2 lbs 9.8 ounces is pretty much untouchable. Even a 12 inch fish - (unheard of around here) - probably wouldn't come close to that weight.

Musky Mod, any chance Geneva could get it done??
Not likely....Geneva gills lack mass, and for some reason they never really get a helmet hump...even fish over 10" and up to 12" lack the traits that would be needed to achieve record breaking weights...their simply not thick enough, tall enough, or full breasted enough. There are good numbers of 10"s in Geneva that take refuge in the abyss, and that puts them out of reach of many anglers.

Lake Delavan could easily produce a record if local DNR could implement a protected slot, and selective harvest program. These fish are built like brick you know whats.....very fast growing, small eyes, tall bodies, outrageous mass. I've caught 7.5" gills here that are shaped like a Wendy's hamburger...square!....9.5" Delavan gills are absolute brutes but they become more rare everyday. Delavan receives serious pressure and is subject to a statewide 25 fish daily bag limit.....Unfortunately, too many anglers target the largest gills for harvest during their limit quest.
The Minnesota state record is 2-13 and was caught in 1948 in the county next to me. 1948.....thats is along time ago. I take the same approach as Bruce. I believe it can be busted! It is a matter of time and lots and lots of research. I have a "bucket list" if you will, and that is on there! I want to find the new Mn state record!

I was just wondering if any of you fellow bigbluegill.com'rs felt the same way about your state and the bluegill world we live in?

I believe if the world record were to fall it would come from a private pond or lake. With so many of us gillin' out there we are increasing the odds and it would be so cool to see a new state record or the world record be broken by one of us! Lets keep fishin' hard smart and, do this!!
I think the odds of the world record being broken are pretty long. As to the state record for TN, I'm aiming to grow record-breaking bluegill and shellcracker both in the ponds I manage, but who knows if it will happen. The state record bluegill is three pounds and the shellcracker is 3-5, so that's some big bream...
I don't think the MN state record will fall in our lifetimes. 2-13 is a giant, and there are WAY too many anglers in MN for a fish to sneak through the cracks. MN lacks private ponds as well.

Travis, I'd like to see one picture of a 2.5 lb. MN 'gill....
Awesome fish, Travis! Put it in the general photo section so I can feature it. The is an amazing cow.
Texas
Sunfish Weight Location Angler Date
Bluegill Sunfish 1 lbs 13 oz Purtis Creek James Sides 6/12/1993
Green Sunfish 1 lbs 3.52 oz Tehuacana Creek Rickie Rivard 4/21/1995
Hybrid Sunfish 0 lbs 15.84 oz Austin Lake Dwayne Kinley 10/19/1997
Longear Sunfish 0 lbs7.68 oz Lake Fork Tyler Russell 6/1/1998
Redbreast Sunfish 1 lbs 10.08 oz Comal River Alex Labowski 8/30/1997
Redear Sunfish 2 lbs 15.84 oz Town Lake John Runnels 4/1/1997
Spotted Sunfish 0 lbs 1.92 oz Onion Creek Artie Hebert 9/21/1993
Awesome 'gill, Travis. Fantastic.
I personally think that the likelihood of a new world record...a fish that exceeds the 4 lb 12 oz Ketona Lake fish, is very, very remote. But I would love to see it happen.

While researching for the In-Fisherman article that Bruce and I did this past spring, I discovered that the last 'true giant' was caught in Goldwater Lake in Arizona back in 2004. That fish weighed 3 pounds and 15 ounces.To quote...'only one other specimen approaches this fish within the past 15 years, a 3 pound 7 ounce Maryland state record caught in Deep Creek Lake in August of 1998.'

Most current state record gills are dated catches from the 50's, through the 1980's. Indeed...the true 'freak' bluegills that exceed 3 pounds are exceedingly rare. Not impossible, but, Like Bruce, I too would be astounded if the world record gill were to be broken in my life time.

But we can always hope!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
40 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
41 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service