Texas River Snake

Views: 881

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After looking at the pictures again I can tell that there are two species here:

1. Broad-Banded Watersnake 2. Brown Watersnake

Josh

Actually Water moccasins ARE somewhat aggressive. The last one struck at Dean just as he walked to the top of a 3 ft cliff and looked down at it. Then it just waited with it's mouth open for Dean to come closer.
Maybe that snake just wanted to taste Dean.

I would not say aggressive but defensive. The opening of the mouth to expose the white lining is the cottonmoths` defesene mechanism; just like bluegill go into thick coontail when a large-mouth bass swims near.

It was not telling Dean to come closer. It was telling Dean that "hey please dont step on me! I can bite you, but I don`t want to."

By the way if you would like to learn more about cottonmouths go to the link I gave you. Also in Texas, the species of cottonmouth is the Western Cottonmouth Agkistrodon piscivorus leucostoma.

Good luck!

I hope I have helped.

Tight lines,

Josh

Sharon, A 410-45 pistol would be real handy!!!! I alway have one loaded in my tube!!!! When I have it with me I never need it..........................
I often want to bite him myself.
I keep a Thompson Contender G-2 with a 45-410 barrel with me and use 410 2.5 inch shells for snakes.  Works very well and easy to carry with my shoulder rig.

The snakes are out again:

Every1 know what kind of snake this is. Walking toward the water didn't pay no mind that there was a snake right in front of me.

Attachments:

Could it be a Milk Snake, or maybe a King?

Yellow bellied water snake

Still, I like snakes. They feed on the small things, the basic, intermediate links within the chain.

When I see a snake, it tells me the order of things is, well... in order.

PS Venomous snakes, of course, get a wide berth. They dont scare me, but respect is respect.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
16 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
19 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service