Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20160522-we decided to make a quick unscheduled or planned trip to the lake to show earl the hot bite I’ve been having at a location… launched the boat… made it to the location… made a few casts … nothing . so goes the sport of fishing!

We decide to hit a few close spots that may prove similar in conditions… shallow and sloppy. The next two spots proved to be goldmines… a lunker on almost every cast. I was surprised to see so many toads of sunfishes in one small location

Spring Cricket is still proving to be the current hot bait jig for my style of jig fishing the shallows.

BFOTD!!

0522161804-BFOTD!!! 9"+ B'Gill

Collage of Michigan Toads

201605221-Michigan Jumbo B'Gills and P'seeds

Virtual Live well... all  CPR'ed 

20160522-Jigging and Pitching the Shallows and Slop

Slip -  Looks like you are having a amazing spring .You're already fishing mini, how about giving  nano a try.  A good fixed line pole, .002 line and a 32 hook and you are good to go :) . The direct connection to the fish is a blast. The tug is the drug

JDA

…thanks Joe! Yeah... personal record setting pace for me this spring...fishing small has changed my game over the past couple seasons and thanks to fisherman's input like yours.

20160524- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

…called in today...no fishing of any kind... sore legs and shoulder.

thinking about tomorrow... hopefully i can get around for some shore fishing carp or maybe even fishing out of the kayak.

carp are roaming and spawning along the bank... it was roughly this time last year i caught my Certificate Carp

Monday I saw over a dozen Carp.  Most were just cruising around, and would swim near my kayak while I was drifting with the wind, casting to isolated outgrowths of weeds that prespawn 'gills were relating to.

…if at all possible Allen you should try to connect with them from shore ... such a blast

For the past couple years, I've been practicing how to stalk fish, both on land, and in my kayak.  I've even tried to set up an intercept by dropping a fly in front of the fish without spooking it. Takes a LOT of practice!

I can stalk fish pretty good in my kayak.  Getting a fly in front of them is the hard part.

I was seeing the majority of those in in 7 - 10 FOW, and they were cruising by about 5' down.  However, there is a large area, several acres in size, just a  hundred yards from where I was, that is a shallow sand flat.  Maybe 2' deep, with Maidencane or Bullrushes.  Probably and ideal spot to spot and stalk feeding Carp.

…to tag one on a fly would be great!!

im starting  a training regiment of feeding corn in one of my local shore spots... training them to feed in a concentrated spot... hopefully ill be tagging them shortly.

sounds like a great spot yo got going there...

the last carp i had on was tagged with a 9' UL steelhead type rod with 15# braid... while battling the fish and its long runs i remember thinking i was under-rigged. such a battle

20160525- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

I got an invitation to fish one of my favorite lakes and I didn’t have to control the boat!

As we were preparing for launch I took a walk to the beach and the docks and noticed some jumbo gills on the beds. So the stratregy for the day changed to fishing the first break rather than disturb the bedding gills. Crappies should be pretty much finished spawning so we decided to target them instead.

Once out on the first breakline dropping into deeper water we started tagging the panfish straight away. Some prespawn gills, crappies pike and LMB. Earl was swimming the 1.5” swim jig on a 1/32 oz jig with 4# Nano and I was tossing the Spring Cricket in 1/64 and 1/32 oz on 3# Nano. Action was consistent throughout the afternoon.

Largest crappie near 13” class.

0525161911-BEST B.CRAPPIE OF THE DAY

Virtual cooler all CPR'ed

20160525-ANOTHER CRAPPIE DAY ON THE LAKE

beautiful P'Seed

0525161722b-EXTRAORDINARY COLORS ON THE SEED

Greedy Gill

0525161626-QUALITY GILL ON THE SPRING CRICKET

Preds on the Spring Cricket

20160525-PRED ON THE SPRING CRICKET

20160526- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
8 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
15 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."