Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

2012 is going to be my year. I am really pumped up about spring (even if it is mid winter). What I am asking is how many rods, and what kind do you take with you. And how do you have them rigged. I am trying to narrow things down to 4-5 rods, rigged for all types of gill fishing. Oh by the way, I will also take a couple poles along too.

Views: 999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I justed started fishing last August and started on ultralight . I moved to a 10 foot BNM Pole and was happy but felt like I was missing bites but liked the connection to the fish. I have been trying to find a US based pole retailer for carbon telescopic poles. Goint to try the euro method in the spring. Pole , line , float and hook. Trying to keep it very very simple. Never realized how hard simple could be...

The site allfishingbuy.com is a great example of the confusion. The floats shown are Japanese, Chinese Paste floats and they are designed for specific purpose. Purchasing this stuff will lead to disappointment but feel free to give it a spin. When you see someone call a pole a rod you know you are in for trouble.

Carbon fiber as we know it in spinning gear is NOT the same in telescopic poles. When purchasing these it is best to have a warranty (thus the local store angle) as one defect and your pole will shatter. Carbon fiber telescopic do NOT stand up to our wild fish but are popular on stocked ponds in England, Italy, Far East where the fish are much smaller and are caught on a regular basis. The food they get is from angler's paste. What you are calling a whip is a telescopic pole. I recommend you start with BNM - this is the best US company for the telescopic and these are durable, strong enough to take on gills. 

There was a company called Class tackle and they made proper fiberglass poles that were perfect! They are out of business. Like I said, I will try and get the perfect poles because you can't find these anywhere. The Euro route is a tough road, very expensive to ship your items that are the length of poles and you will find in many cases the tackle does NOT match our fishing or more importantly your fishing. It is like taking a putter to a driving range.

Note the type of fish the majority of this gear is meant to handle: 
These tiny carps are the size of shiners:

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Photo-Gallery/Azat-Tenkara-Wakata-2.jpg 

Johnny

Thank you for the advise. I'm currently using the BNM  10 foot pole.I will be pairing with your ready rigs in the spring. I received a pair last month with your newsletter. Look forward to seeing your offering in pole selection

Fantastic!

Email me if you have any questions at all. Note these are set up to handle a small red worm, waxworm, cricket or spikes (best).

10 foot BNM is one of the best all-around poles I have seen. More importantly I will have some more leaders, hooks as this is the business end. Poles are very good until you are wanting to compete or boost your catch - hooks, line and float the most important for live bait fishing - and quality split shot for certain. Once that it working then your pole will get more action and you may want to seek upgrades then. I will be working on the rigs, floats over the winter (it was 40 degrees above average here today I was very tempted to get the pole out during work.).

i bring 3 bluegill/crappie poles with me.. one has a slip bobber for live bait.. one has a roadrunner with a slider on it and one is set up for fishing the bottom.. this is suffecient for me..

my bg poles are ultra light or light action usually 5ft 6in or 6ft

my reels are real small mitchell or shimano spinning reels( open face)

Curious Cal. What do you mean by a "slider"? I know what a roadrunner for the rig..but the "slider" part. I may be cross referencing to a few rigs I know that involve two beads, then a hook, then another two beads to trap a sliding hook along a long leader. Is that the slider rig?

Leo, could be a charlie brewer slider

Dwayne, Johnny explained the sliding as the float which slides along the leader/main line just a few responses down. Man, I'm armed with so much info from this site, especially from Bill Modica, the spoon whisperer. Man, just plain brain busting info collection from this site.

I'm thinking he means a tail you put on a jig.

Dick, thats a  charlie brewer slider...great bait by the way, for gills,crappie and bass

I carry three fly rods, one rigged for top-water, one for wet flies, and a spare. Three to four spinning rods; two medium action 6 to seven foot long rods rigged for live bait with a #4 hook in gold or red with a bobber,  two ultralight five foot ugly sticks rigged with a beetle spin or jig, one bass casting rod  seven foot usually wacky rigged with a rubber worm. I keep one or two telescoping rods (breambuster or zig pole).  I also carry two or three tackle boxes.  The fly rods are my mainstay and often I start with the top-water and never get to any of the other rods.  Sometimes I might have to pare out a few rods to make room for a guest.

And I thought hauling 4 rods is way too much. You must have a 20ft long boat that rig to create a spider's fishing patter, or you probably have rigged your car to float on water, plenty of pole holders, and the trunk full of beers, chips, and dips..Can I join you? LOL

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
9 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."