Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

2012 is going to be my year. I am really pumped up about spring (even if it is mid winter). What I am asking is how many rods, and what kind do you take with you. And how do you have them rigged. I am trying to narrow things down to 4-5 rods, rigged for all types of gill fishing. Oh by the way, I will also take a couple poles along too.

Views: 999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good evening Dwayne......I will not leave the house starting Good Friday, 4/6/2012 without the following equipment on board........A minimum of 3 spincasting rod n' reels rigged up with my terminal tackle including  a float, split shot and a # 4 Eagle claw long shank hook.......1 spincasting rod n'reel with a Road Runner or a Crank Bait ready to cast........(4) telescopics of all sizes between 10 feet and 16 feet.....these all have specific location application in my waters depending on cover, width of creek and wind speed to name a few examples.....

I will stick with a technique or pattern if I find one that's working but I like to work the Crank Bait in areas I know fish are striking to seek out the citation sized fish.....I have fished a bed or an  area with good results and toss in a crank bait and land a couple more really good fish.......It's tested not isolated events.......

You're not the only one with Spring Fever.....I have it bad and can't wait to tear March off that calendar board at work revealing April 2012.........I'll start losing sleep then.......Good Luck!

Thanks jeff,I am thinking something about something much like you setup. Kind of some seeking rods and target rods. Been nice weather here for January, but fish ain't biting like spring.

Amen to that....mild weather and despite a few other species...a slow bite...Bluegill is my passion so that's where my focus is....got my boat in for an annual motor check up so it's ready to go......Going to try some Yellow Perch late this month or early February...they spawn shallow in North Carolina during the Winter.....Just something to hold me over until Spring....

When I do get a chance to get out I'll have half dozen rods. All will be spinning rod from 5' to 6 1/2' in either ultra lite and lite action.  I'll have 2 set up with a live bait rig  with a good float which I very seldom use. I'll have 2 or 3 set up with jigs with a soft twister tail with lots of action of with one will have a red headed jig 1/16 oz with a white pearl tail. The other jig will be 1/16 oz white with a pearl chart soft tail on it. The other 2 rods will be ridged with some type of small spinner one a small inline and the other a small road runner 1/16 oz with a spinner blade on it, prefer copper or brass blades. That's the way I'm usually set up. I would probably have extra rods in the rod storage on the boat cause I like to change rods not baits. I hope all will get on the water and enjoy our sport and catch many big and beautiful looking fish. Good luck and GOOD FISHIN..

Im wanting to get some longer, lightweight rods this season. A couple of those Ive seen with  underspins would do nicely.

David- I spotted a couple last time I was out in a good price range. While not the best in the world I thought they were pretty good. I will get you a couple that surprised me and were below $50!

There were some telescopics listed above in previous posts - I am thinking 2012 should be the year of the telescopic pole in a major way. This will be my prim are weapon.

Any recommendations on poles. I have been trying to find a telescopic whip pole in the US but have been unable to find. My understanding is the best are French or Italian

Ney-

We need to get good telescopics in the US - you are kind of correct the only problem with a French or Italian whip is our bluegills are heavier than what the French and Italians fish for - they are not rated for our fish - but you are correct they have incredible tackle - Milo is an old man who makes fantastic Italian tackle but it also is costly. I will get out the camera and show you a picture of the best split shot in the world. The trouble with this split shot - our lines are far too thick for most of it. I will try very hard to get the best telescopic for us but for now Black Widow is good and B Pro also makes some telescopics I can get both of these names for you.

I'm only piping on this topic because I have tried to look for recommendations, and remember spotting some good options. I was surprised to find some longer spinning rods that weren't extra soft - a good float rod needs to be more stiff up the middle. Same goes for the telescopics. I would say that most "Crappie" poles are too whippy. A lot of them are built for the spider technique where you have 18 of them on the side of your boat all bend in half. Also a lot of the "features" that are added to telescopics don't help to catch fish- but they end up attaching all sorts of things like line hollers and mini reels. I will make a trip out that way on Wednesday most likely.

Lastly - I much prefer we all work with our smaller tackle stores. It would be much nicer to send them business. If your local owner will work with you - spend the money there and see if they will work with you. My local dealer here in Illinois gives myself and any students, club members a 10% tackle discount. In many cases - the prices and selection are just as good if not better than the big box stores.

We don't want our local tackle stores gone - we don't. Open up a conversation and most tackle stores have suppliers or can special order you in a couple poles and rods and they get shipments from suppliers either weekly or every other week.

Thanks, I guess my level of frustration is that everytime I have tried to obtain information on whip poles I was told that the european mfr will not ship directly to the US. I've been researching the UK market and suprised at the amount of tackle for whip fishing. I fell in love with ready rigs but other then your school have not been able to find anything else in the US . I'll let you know how they fish in the spring

I have no idea what a whip pole is. Maybe this will help.

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-Whip.htm

Thank You, this is exactly the type of pole I was looking to purchase. I appreciate the information

I saw a 12ft and 16ft poles like that at Bass Pro. I thought I went a bit insane in seeing such a long telescoping pole in the store. Apparently, they are getting quite popular. I think I need to get myself one.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert posted photos
5 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted photos
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
yesterday
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
Sunday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by